Ladders in my Ribbing

I’m working on the scarf from issue 1 of hand knit heroes and I’m having trouble with my ribbing. The ribbed pattern is
Row 1: P2, K4 to last 2 sts, P2
Row 2: K2, P4 to last 2 sts, K2
In between the purl and knit sections I am getting wide ladders that, while I could ignore and pretend that it is my own designer influence, I really don’t care for.
I’ve tried tightening my tension, but that didn’t help.
I read something about being able to knit into the back leg of the purl stitch to fix the problem, but I don’t want to try it and have to frog the whole thing because I remembered wrong. I figure someone wiser than I will have the solution.
Any help that does not include combined knitting would be most appreciated. I have tried it and it made me want to rip out my hair in frustration. Thanks! :muah:

That happens when going from knit to purl, often we purl looser than we knit. Knitting into the back of the WS st can help tighten it up, as well as wrapping the other direction. You can do a search on loose ribbing and that should turn up other threads where this has been discussed.

Yep, wrap the first purl stitch under instead of over and then knit into the back of the twisted knit stitch on the other side. That should help.

Thank you both for the advice. I will try both searching for loose ribbing info and wrapping my purl stitches in the opposite direction.

How far are you in the ribbing? When I do a 2x2 ribbing, at first it’s like you described. Then when I hit around 3 inches, all of a sudden the pulling in properties of the ribbing kicks in & the ladders go away.

What the others mentioned are good too. Especially when purling after doing a cable.

Hope all goes well.

That’s true. Ribbing especially, but any knitting seems to stretch a lot widthwise for the first couple inches and seems a lot wider than it does after you have more length on it. When you wash or block your piece afterward, it also evens out the sts.

I’m having the same problem, but I’m working in the round. If you twist the purls on the first round…do you twist again on the purls in the next round? or purl regularly?

Yes, you twist them every round by wrapping under instead of over.

Note that it does look a little different on the back of the work so if the edge will be folded you need to decide if that is a problem for you.