Knitting On Diagonal (my grandma's dishcloth)

The pattern:

CO 4
K2, YO, knit, knit to end
Rep - 40 stitches

K1, K2tog, YO, K2tog, knit to end

Rep to 5, Cast off.

The problem:

Three of my four corners are slightly rounded, aligned and perfectly acceptable. The corner on which I end is more pointed and overly long. The result is that my dishcloth is not square, but is instead some strange, awkward shape. The problem is obviously me and not the pattern, since my grandmother has made a bazillion of these dishcloths and I’ve used them for years.

I’ve no idea where I’m going wrong, though! Hints? Help? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Are you sure you’re doing BOTH k2tog on the decrease rows?

The end on these kinds of patterns can get a little odd. How does ending when you have 4 sts (like the CO) and then binding off work?

Yes; I’m sure I’m doing both k2tog on decrease rows.

I’ve tried ending with 4 like the CO, but have the same problem. I’ve also tried using every needle size from 6 to 10.5. I’m INC/DEC at the rate the pattern calls, counting stitches to be doubly sure and have successfully made several other dishcloths with varying patterns, so I don’t feel like quite such a failure :slight_smile:

Is there a way to post a picture here? Could that help you identify my problem?

I had this problem with one that I made… I think it may be because the weight of the cloth is hanging down and it gets “stretched” out. Therefore making it pointy… What size needles are you using and what weight is your yarn?

That’s an idea. Just keep the BO loose, and stretch and pull in different directions to see if that fixes it.

It’s happened to me and I don’t know why. If you put a crocheted or i-cord loop on the pointy corner it will disguise the uneven shape. And you’ll be able to hang up your dishcloth. Or use it as a potholder.

I’m using Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton and size 7 needles.

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]I used to knit these dish cloths all the time and sometimes a corner would go wonky. I never worried about it because the thing is not knit tight enough to cause this to be a permanent condition. I found, once the ends were sewn in and the corner pulled a bit… it all came out well…
And once used… it really doesn’t matter any more.
TEMA:knitting: [/COLOR]

You’re exactly right! As soon as I pulled a bit, fiddled, attempted to reshape and then wove in the ends, all was well. Thanks!

I’m having the same problem - with dishcloths and with baby blankets that I make from this pattern. I’ve tried everything I can think of, even the stretching/blocking technique mentioned above, and nothing really helps. Is there any hope? :??

I really do love this pattern, but I’m just getting so frustrated with this wonky corner! :wall:

What if you try finishing off the pattern early? Try binding off with 6-8sts left and see if that helps. If you’re using acrylic yarn, it may help to wash and dry the cloth or blanket in the washing machine and dryer (check the ballband) rather than blocking.

Whenever I’ve used this pattern, my final corner always ends up awkwardly pointed too!! Baby blankets and dishcloths end up this way.

Usually when the new mom opens her gift, she doesn’t even notice the “wonky” corner. And with dishcloths, eventually ALL the corners end up looking like that anyway!!!

So, I would recommend to “go with the flow” and weave in the ends and appreciate all your hard work!


Now that’s one thing I’ve never tried - finishing off the pattern early! :woohoo: I’ll try that the very next one I do!

I almost always use acrylic because it is easy to care for - the last baby blanket I did, I used Jo-Ann’s brand of yarn in the huge skein - two of them in fact, held together as one. I washed & dried it, hoping it would fix that corner - no such luck. But when I gave it to the prospective mom, and even told her about the problem, she shrugged it right off and just commented on the softness. :shrug:

Thanks for all tips - and I’ll take any others too!


I’ve seen this pattern before, but the ones I know of are slightly different. I believe the pattern goes: k1,yo, knit to end of the row. Repeat for each row. Then when you’re ready to decrease it would be K1,yo, k2tog, knit to end of the row. Repeat each row. Try that and see if it works for you. I’ve seen the increase row done for a triangular shawl in the book One Skein Wonders.

The YO is another kind of increase and just adds an eyelet edge to it. The problem she’s having is the pointy end when you finish.