Knitting a sweater for a rat...help please?

Hi everyone, I’m new here, and fairly novice at knitting. I’ve made some hats, fingerless gloves, and scarves, all on straight needles. I’m venturing off into the world of DPNs right now.

I recently had a friend ask me to knit sweaters for her naked rats.
Luckily, I found a pattern!

Not so luckily, I’m having an extremely difficult time following the pattern.

here are my questions:

1. Can anyone help me convert this pattern so that I can do it on straight needles and sew a seam?

2. After the ribbing, and the first 2 rows under the “shaping” section, I get hopelessly confused. Can anyone offer advice on how to keep my place?

3. When binding off in the middle of the row…how do you all do this? I feel like I may be doing it completely wrong.

Here is the pattern:

Welcome to KH!
If you gotten as far as 2 rows into the shaping, you’re probably better off continuing on dpns. It’s more difficult to convert the pattern with its shaping on both sides.

In the instructions you can use a sticky note or highlighter tape to keep your place. In the actual knitting, markers at the beginning of round and a few other convenient places help to keep you on track.

Knit up to where you need to bind off, then knit 2 more sts, pick up the first stitch on the right needle and lift it over the second and off the needle, one stitch bound off. Knit another stitch, lift the first over the second and off the right needle, second stitch bound off. You can continue to the next bind off and repeat these directions.

Do the rats really tolerate these sweaters?

Good question. My older son used to have a pet rat. He chewed on anything that was wood or fabric. He’s the reason we don’t have any carpet under that bedroom door. I guess it would depend on the individual rat and the fiber is used to knit the sweater.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies!

I seem to do ok up until the line after the “bind off” 2…the next line I tend to end up short 2 stitches.

I have a friend who is going to try it this weekend, and then we can determine if its just me or if its the pattern. lol

As far as if the rats will tolerate it…I honestly don’t know, nor do I think they will…but my friend is doing some custom jewelry for me in exchange for a rat sweater, so…I’m just making it.

Ideally I’d like to start all over on straight needles, but I agree that with the shaping on both sides, it might be hard to convert. I’ve never tried to convert a pattern before.

I’ve tried 4 times, and have messed up in the same spot every time, so hopefully the 5th time will be the charm.

Are you casting on the 3 sts twice on the next row? On this row, when you get to the gap where 2sts were bound off, use a thumb loop method to cast on 3sts. That’ll fill in the gap and finish the opening. It is similar to a buttonhole.

Hi Salmonmac: I am. I’m running into issues when I get to the end of that row…after the second CO3, the K1, P2tog, K2, P2tog…I end up anywhere between 2-4 stitches short. (So I can’t do the last k2, P2tog.)

Let me ask you all this…for this section (because I think this is where I’m messing up)

k1, bind off 2 stitches, k2,

I knit 1. then to bind off 2, I knit two stitches, pick up the first stitch on the right needle and lift it over the second and off the needle, one stitch bound off. Knit another stitch, lift the first over the second and off the right needle, second stitch bound off.

From there…I have one Knit stitch already. Does this count in the K2? section that follows?

I have to apologize, I’m just not really great at reading patterns, and this is my first time with ssk, bind off in the middle, and co in the middle.

I really do appreciate all of your help and suggestions.

Yes, count that one stitch left after the bind off as part of the k2. Same goes for the next bind off of 2 sts. Count the single stitch left over as part of the following rib.
We’re all happy to help you with this pattern as much as possible.