Knitting a horizontal cable?

Hello Knit Friends!
I am looking to see if it is possible to knit a cable around the brim of a hat horizontally. I want to knit it in the round (not knit flat and sew together)
Thanks in advance!

Yes it is, but you need a pattern. One of Eunny Jang’s cardigan patterns had a cable knit that way. It’s the Tangled Yoke Cardigan from fall 2007 Interweave knits. You might be able to find a copy through your library, to give you an idea how she contructed it. Her blog eunnyknits had a couple of posts that explained her process in ‘deconstructing’ cables to knit them horizontally. You might search the patterns at Ravelry, specifying cable in the filter and horizontal as the keyword. It may be someone’s already come up with a pattern.

I’m sure the experts will chime in shortly. But I’d think the easiest way would be to knit the brim as a strip, then pick up stitches along the long edge to work the top in the round. There would be a little seam to join the short edges, but that can go to the back of the hat. Wish I had a better answer for you…

That’s the easiest, but not how she wants to do it, I think. She’d have to knit the rim flat and sew it first.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tangled-yoke-cardigan
Here’s a pic of the sweater suzeeq is talking about.

Thanks for chiming in, everyone. Ideally I would like it to be seamless, but it’s good to know all the ways to go about it. I will look into that pattern and her blog.

Here’s a basic hat that’s constructed as Charlotte posted.

Wow! That sweater is gorgeous! :inlove: Eunny Jang is scary good!

I wish you luck, knitAbikini, in finding a pattern or how to for your hat.