Knitting a band and collar for kids cardigan...help

Hi there, this is my first post on here! I’m knitting a children’s cardigan and I’ve gotten to knitting the front band and collar in rib. I’ve got 2 questions:

1. The rib pattern asks for 9 stitches and to K2, *P1, K1, rep from * to last St, K1

I’ve done this and made 5 button holes and from what I gather this is a knit 1 purl 1 pattern with 2 knit stiches at either end and on the reverse 2 purl stitches at either end. Is this correct?

1. For the collar shaping it asks to "working Inc sts into rib pattern, Inc one st at end of next row, then in every foll alt row until there are 25 sts.

I’m so confused. I’ve looked up on YouTube how to Inc in rib and so many options. But if I increase at the end when there are 2 knit stitches what will that new stitch require? Knit or purl?!

Thanks in advance

Welcome!
Yes, k1p1 rib with 2 knit sts on each end.

I find it simplest to increase one or two sts in from the ends. That maintains a nice edge (in your case, the k2). Work the first increase as a knit, that’ll give you 3 knit sts at each end. Then work the next increase as a purl which will put you back into k1p1 rib pattern.

Which pattern are you following? Can you give us a link or a pattern name?

Ok fab thanks. Just to clarify, I’m only increasing on one end aren’t I? So increase 1 at first row, then do normal rib row on wrong side, then increase on right side? It’s a Patton’s Jet Kids pattern book 8012 cardigan. I’ll try attach a link

You’re right, increase at one end only. That’s my mistake and thanks for correcting it.
Cute pattern!
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/2-jumper-or-cardigan

I really appreciate your help. I have undone this about 7 times! So…can i just check… the normal right side would be:
K2, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k2

Then the next row
P2, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, p2

Then the increase in the rib
K2, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, knit 1, knit 1 increase and knit final stitch?

Then next row?

Thanks heaps, still learning!

You could do it that way. On the next row, knit the Vs and purl the bumps. For the next increase row you would have to place the purl increase 2sts from the end:
K2, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, knit 1, purl 1 increase, knit 2.

I was thinking about consistently keeping the increases 2sts before the end as in
K2, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, knit 1 increase, k2.
Then the next increase row would be
K2, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, purl 1 increase, k2
That way you always maintain the k2 at the end rather than putting the increase one before the end. One before the end won’t matter for the knit increases but it will interrupt the edges when the increase is a purl.

If I’m in doubt, I work out the method on a scrap swatch for several rows to see if I like it. That’ll save wear and tear on your project yarn, too.

Thank you so much! Im on a roll!

Hi there, I’m having trouble with this same pattern in the same spot, increasing the 1x1 rib stitch for the collar. Is someone able to explain further how to increase one stitch every alt row without messing up the ribbing?

Thank you

Leah

Welcome to the forum!
You’re not going to be able to increase one stitch without interupting the pattern unless you place the increase at the end of the row. If that edge of the rib is part of a seam it’ll be hidden in the sem but if not, it creates a bit of a bump at the edge.
You’ll get a smoother line if you keep an edge stitch or two and increase inside the edge sts. The increase changes the pattern at the edge (although most of the rib columns are maintained) but the fact that it’s done consistenely makes it look fine.
Test it out on a swatch to save ripping out your pattern yarn to see what several rows of increases look like.

Thank you!