"Knit to next to last marker" HELP!

The part where I am stuck on my pattern reads like this:

Row 2: Knit, placing markers as follows: [k2, PM] twice, k3, PM, k4, PM, k5, PM, k7, PM, k11, PM with different color for bottom of hat, k8.

Row 3: Knit to next to last marker, wrap, turn.

Row 3 is where I had to stop because I am confused about is which marker would be considered the “last marker.”

Can anyone please clear this up for me?

Welcome to KH!
Place the markers as given in row 2 using a different color marker for the one indicated. Turn to knit row 3. As you look at row 3, the differed color marker is marker 1 at the beginning of the row and nearest the needle tip. The marker at the end of the row is the last marker.
So you’re going to knit almost all the way across the row for row 3 and turn.
Very confusing terminology, I agree.
Maybe this is the Jughead hat from Dominknitrix: Whip Your Knitting into Shape?

Thank you for your help!

Yes! It was the jughead beanie. How did you know that? Have you made one?

I’ve seen the pattern before although I haven’t made it yet. We’d love to see your finished hat!

I’ve only been knitting for a few months now, but I’ve worked with a variety of patterns so far. This one wasn’t one of my favorites. They wan’t you to knit 6 different sections that have a peak at one end and a valley at the other, then graft them together. It’s simple enough, but if you aren’t confident with your kitchener stitch abilities I would take extra care. The kitchener leaves noticeable, chunky seams across the hat.

Here is a photo of my finished product.

I feel like, instead, this hat could be done almost completely in the round like a beanie, but do a provisional cast on. Then when that’s done, pick up the provisional loops and knit the various peaks on the crown away from the top of the hat.

1 Like

Wow, that worked out very well! I like your idea of the provisional cast on, much simpler.
The Kitchener shouldn’t leave a seam, however. That’s why it was invented for the toes of top down socks. It should integrate into the lines of stitches. Here’s directions for Kitchener with an important note about grafting garter stitch at the end.
http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/FEATtheresasum04.html