Knit the knit and purl the purl?

My pattern says knit the knit and purl the purl for the 2nd row of my work.

when I turn the needles the stitches I knitted will then be purl stitches right?? So do I purl the stitches I knitted on the first row and knit the stitches I purled? Or do I just repeat the first row??
Sorry I know this is a dumb question but I just started.
TIA
Jen

It’s NOT a dumb question. Rather than trying to read the pattern in reverse, knit and purl the stitches as they appear. If the next stitch is a V, knit it. If it’s a bump, purl it.

Thanks!!! I though that was what I was suppose to do but didn’t want to do the next 2 rows wrong. This site is great. If it wasn’t here I wouldn’t be knitting!!!:cheering:

If the pattern says to knit the knit and purl the purl When you begin the next row just do the same stitch that is on the row below.

When I first started knitting, it took me a long time to get this concept. Partly, I had trouble “reading” my stitches. So I would knit the stitch I had knit on the last row – the exact opposite of what needed to happen. I can remember the day when it dawned on me that a purl is the back of a knit stitch. I had heard that, but it didn’t click in for a while. It was an aha! moment.

All of which is to say: this question is one many, many knitters have to face when they’re learning. In no way is it a dumb question!

I had a similar “aha” moment when learning cables, the pattern would just say “knit as they appear”. :zombie: I figured that meant knit the knit and purl the purl, but it took me forever to figure out what they looked like. Once I did, though, reading patterns has gotten so much easier! I remember Ingrid (i think) posting a pic somewhere with a diagram of what the knit and purl stitches look like, cant find though…:shrug:

I know. I’m ok when I get on a stretch of knits or purls but the last stick going from knit to purl throws me. My pattern has even stitches of purls and knits so if I end on an odd number stitch I recheck. So far I’m on row 10 :woot: !!! (of 31) I’m making a purse. This is going smoother than my scarf that I make last week. It clicking slowly but surely.
Jen

I think it was Jan who’s posted a picture several times of ribbing so you can see the difference between knit and purl sts.