Knit one purl one problem!

Hi, I’m very new to knitting, but love it so far. I’ve knitted a few scarfs just to get some practice in, and managed to do the knit 2 rows, purl two rows, but now I’m trying to do the ribbing so knit one purl one and I’m pulling my hair out. So I’d cast on twenty for example, then knit a row. Then knit a stitch, purl a stitch, until the end of the row. Perfectly ok up to this point. I’d get to the end of the row and then go to knit and it all looks a mess, I cant distinguish between the stitches at all and although I know I’m doing something wrong I can’t think what. Also, I’m left handed so I don’t know if that some how effects it? Any help would be gratefully received! S

Keep going. It will be difficult to see the pattern until you get a few rows done.

As you are doing ribbing, just…
Row 1: (k1, p1) x 10
Row 2: (K1, P1) x 10
Repeat rows 1 and 2.

Make sure that when you switch from knit to purl you are bringing the yarn between the needle and not over the top of the needle.

Usually, with ribbing, you would knit 1 stitch, then purl 1, then knit 1, then purl 1…all the way across.

So, if you cast on 20 sts you would k1, p1, k1, p1, etc… and end with p1.

Then on the next row, you would start with k1, p1, k1, p1…all the way across. There is no k across the whole row with ribbing. (unless you are trying a very specific kind of ribbing.

Here is a video of someone doing k1, p1 knitting. A little blurry, but easy to follow.

hth,
knitcindy

Yes, it takes a good inch before it all looks right. And be easy on yourself. It takes practice so keep going. :thumbsup: