Knit a Loose Woven Cable Stitch??

Hello,
I am seeking advice on how to work woven cable stitch with moss stitch. I worked the bottom rows in rib stitch, changed to moss stitch and changed again to woven cable stitch. I am finding that woven cable stitch is very tight and shrinks my knitting piece by several inches, I added increases before starting the woven cable stitch but the piece still tightened up severely.

I am wondering if there is any way to knit woven cable stitch and have it remain loose and not as tight and dense. I have seen sweaters worked this way so I know it can be done but I have been unable to figure out how. I would like the piece to be one consistent width.

Any help would be appreciated.
I have attached a picture of my work at the bottom.

Thank you!

I’ve never done it, but I know cables pull in so maybe using a larger needle for that part would help?

A link to the stitch pattern for the woven cable stitch would help immensely. It looks like you’re working with right cross and/or left cross stitches. They will be much tighter. You could knit that section on larger needles and see what happens.

Thank you for the advice, I’ve been thinking larger needles might make a difference as well.

Thank you for the advice, here is a link to the video I watched for the woven cable pattern. The stitching is very tight and has little movement. I’ve seen another sweater done with woven cable stitch but I’m not sure how they were able to do it without purchasing the knitting kit.

1 Like

Can you provide a link to the sweater you saw or the kit? I think if I wanted a fabric I would want to wear in this stitch pattern I would go up several sizes larger than normal for my needles. I’d hate to make a mistake in this pattern. YIKES!

Here is a link to the sweater I am looking at. I know the look will not be the exact same because I’m using different yarn(Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick) and smaller needles (12mm)

I’m thinking I should switch to 15 mm needles when the woven cable starts or I might switch to a stretchier lattice stitch? This is the first time I’ve knit with cables.
Thank you again for your help!

The label suggests 13 mm needles. Looking at the yarn in the kit the best I can determine is that it’s probably the same weight class. I’ve not done a lot of cable work myself. For real help on that I think you need someone else’s input.