Knit 2 in one stitch

Does anyone know what Knit 2 in one stitch and Purl 2 in one stitch means? I know it isn’t an increase or a decrease, but I’m stymied!!!

whenever I see that I use:

k1 f&b (aka kfb) and p1 f&b (aka pfb)

from the videos here:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/abbreviations_explained/

Don’t know if that is 100% correct, but it works for me. :shrug:

Thanks Amy, I know how to do that, but the pattern doesn’t seem to call for any increases at this point.

Does the pattern give any indication how to do it? Look closely, beginning of pattern where the st gauge is, end of pattern, reference to another page? What’s the context how’s the previous row and that row read?

The pattern is a Harrisville Design, from Harrisville, N.H. This row is the bottom of a series of Diamond Cable Celtic Knots. The cables have to start from a row of stockinette stitches so I think the purpose of these stitches is to add enough give to the pattern to start the cable. the row before this has 85 stitches and this row switches to a larger needle, with 4 decreases in the first 40 stitches, then Knit 2 in next stitch twice, purl 2 in next stitch once, Knit 2 in next stitch twice, then decrease 4 stitches in the last 40 stitches. The pattern says I should have a total of 82 stitches at the end of this row. So It is 85 stitches minus 8, plus 5 more, the 2 knit, 1 purl, 2 knit. If I increase on these stitches I will have 90 stitches.
The next row is to work back as established and the following row is to start the cable and it is C6.
So I know I need 6 stitches in the middle. maybe it is going to work if I K2, the pfb, K2. I’ll try that tomorrow,

I didn’t take the time to add up stitches, but often when working a cable pattern you will add a few stitches with the kfb and pfb method to make sure your fabric will maintain the same proportions.

So even though they don’t necessarily say that there is an increase, its just part of the cabling.

Yep, it sounds like knit front in back twice, and purl front and back, kfb twice. And the math works out… 85-8=77+5=82.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]But if you kfb in the SAME stitch [U]twice[/U], doesn’t that add 3 stitches…you get one extra when you kfb, but then if you do it again in the same stitch, you’ve made 2 more…right? Which would make extra stitches here, 3 from each knit increase, and 1 from the pfb. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I was reading it as not k2 in the same stitch twice, but the 2 sts next to each other. Work 40 with 4 decs, kfb, kfb, pfb, kfb, kfb, work 40 with 4 decs. So the math works out with that method… :wink:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]:figureditout: Errrr…light bulb moment ![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Of course you’re right, suzeeq ! Duh…![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I can see that NOW ! :aww:[/SIZE][/FONT]

OK, I think I’ve got it!! A new day and clearer thinking and all the different ideas helped. When I looked at the pattern today for about the 100th time I realized that if I decrease across the first 40 stitches and the last 40 stitches I will have 36 on each side. S0 36+36=72[ and then if I do the kfb, kfb, pfb, kfb, kfb in the middle I will have 10 stitches which gives me the 82 I need.

So I am going to try this out today. I think it will work! I will let you know.

Yep that’s right… You’re starting with 85, 40 on each end leaves you 5 sts in the middle which you make an inc in each of those.

Thanks for the help. It worked! Now I am on to the diamond cable motif and can only hope things go better!
Lois:happydance: