KFK is back from the dead

Lisa, that’s good to know. I have not had a chance to check out the bead store yet, in our town that may be the best bet. We don’t have a Hobby Lobby but Michael’s might also have it.

I had my interview today! :hmm: I really liked the people and the job seems way cool. I told 'em I’d rather work <40 hrs a wk, but it looks like they are pretty firm. They said they would call me some time next week to let me know.

The Big Book of Quick Knit Afghans came yesterday :cheering: I thought I knew which one I was going to make, but I fell in love with one of the other patterns (called Peaceful, #4 if anyone has that book) so I’m doing a trial swatch right now to see what its like. Its a different kind of cable than I have done before, but its a single repeat of it over and over so if nots a pain to do, it should be pretty easy. Nothing complicated to remember.

Once I’m done playing with the swatch I’m planning to turn the heel of the 2nd sock and get as much done on that pair as I can tonight. I have the afternoon and evening clear and nothing planned for the weekend except Qi Gong class on Sat and Zen and the Taoist talk on Sunday. Should have a lot of time to knit! :heart: DH is a homebody too so we’ll probably hang out on the couch while he works on getting ready for start of classes on the 28th.

TGIF - hope you all have a good weekend! :hug:

Well today i did not sit down to knit til 4PM! I thought I would be hard at it all day, but ended up doing this and that - baked some 100 calorie/serving brwonies from a mix I ordered online :heart: wow they turned out good, but I’d call them more a nice dark chocolate cake!

Made fried rice for late lunch from a cookbook I LOVE but have not used for years - Jim Lee’s chinese cookbook. DH really liked it, I didn’t know he would - so now have a recipe to use more often.

OMG I have to tell you that those canteloupes I thought had volunteered in my garden are really zucchini! :?? At least I think so! I have several squash -looking veggies growing at the back of their respective wilted flowers. One might be a yellow squash, or even I suppose a spaghetti squash at the beginning stages! I will take a pic when they get a bit bigger and you can help me identify them :mrgreen:

One of life’s great disappointments is when your cantaloupes turn out to be squash. :verysad:

:roflhard: It could be worse!!

OMG I just found a 1966 knitting pattern booklet at our LUBS, with pictures!!! Its GREAT! Maybe I can scan some in and post. The hairdos are especially wonderful, everyone has a headband and a flip! One lady is even wearing long white gloves, and I don’t mean the knitted kind! :yay:

My sister found some patterns from the 60’s and gave them to me. What a hoot! I can’t believe men ever wore their pants that tight, and bright blue eyeshadow must have been mandatory for the women.

BTW–That blanket is stunning!

:roflhard: :roflhard:

Sorry you had a bit of an identification problem… :rofling: At least squash is tasty!

About the job: if they offer it, what do you plan to do? Is it something that you’d enjoy doing 40 hours a week?

I can’t wait to see the 60s patterns! I’ll bet they’re hideously wonderful!

Hi Everybody,
I don’t have the '60s pics scanned yet… you’ll see them soon I hope!

Interestingly, today I found out some things about fibromyalgia which lead me to think I probably have it, and that it explains the vulvodynia (see previous posts). I have avoided even thinking about fibromyalgia since it is such a devastating and hard to pin down problem. However it appears that a physician at UCLA Harbor Hospital in Torrance Calif has done succesful work reversing the condition. He is the one who groups vulvodynia under the heading of fibromyalgia. If this is really true, it is the first explanation for causation for vulvodynia and the first treatment that actually works. I’m very excited and I hope it pans out.

This is related to the question about working 40 hrs a week. I know that normal people work 40 hrs a week and a LOT of people work more than that, but I have never been able to do it successfully. I just don’t have the energy and endurance and I end up slacking off and feeling bad about it.

If this fibromyalgia thing pans out, it would explain a LOT of things, one of them being the low energy/low endurance. The cool thing is there is a cheap, over the counter drug that when used properly can reverse the disease. It sounds too good to be true. That’s why I’m glad the guy is at UCLA or it wouldn’t have much credibility. They say it runs in families, and I am thinking it explains a lot about my sisters and daughters.

I want to go see him in Torrance… Jan, how far are you from there???

Pretty hyped about this…

:pray:

Actually I found out the doc’s office is in Marina Del Rey. I have appt with him on the 24th of this month! My daughter Mitra lives in Upland so I’m gonna stay with her that night and the next day. Yay!

Slooowwwwllllyyyy working on the socks, waiting for the alpaca to come so i can see if it is really too fuzzy for Mitra’s afghan. Still have not made it to the bead store for elastic…

Here are 3 of them :teehee:

I actually like the cardigan shown in the b&w pic - DH says the model has a certain I’m gonna bite your **** off quality! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: I’ll have to practice that look!

Those are marrvelous! I agree about the B&W photo… nice cardi, better model!

Thanks for sharing! Keep 'em coming!

Oh what computer troubles I have been having! After getting a new hard drive 2 mos ago, all was OK until DH switched my antivirus from McAfee to Sophos. This was not really his idea, but he gets it free from his work, and THEY changed it, those cheapskates.

So evidently in the time it took to change over my laptop was exposed to a virus (which I now know was Felix2) and Sophos was unable to detect it. It went along a nd screwed up just about every function on my computer.

So got THAT sorted out by my good friends at Dell in India, but then I was unwise enough to ask that I not have an administrator acct - NEVER do this!! Stick with the dumb administrator and password login, because if you try to fix it, it will never be the same! Still trying to recover from that.

So that has seriously cut in to my knitting time!

:grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

Passed my second balance at Qi Gong today! We just get certificates, not belts, since it is not really martial.

More to say but too :sleepy:

I love those photos!! I kind of like that first sweater–but not in that color. And the third sweater is really cool–plus it looks like a real woman is wearing it (perhaps that’s the reason for the “I’m gonna bite your a** off” quality of her expression? :rofl: ). The first two women look like something out of the Mod Squad.

So sorry to hear about your computer woes!! It’s so maddening trying to deal with all that stuff. At least you’re back to knitty time!

Congrats on your Qi Gong certificate!! :woot:

Hi Friends,

Greetings from sunny Phoenix! Its 8AM and already 88*! :hot: Back home its 63* - well I DO enjoy it when I’m there.

I’m here until tomorrow when I fly out to LAX for my Dr. appt.

Had a very ineresting experience yesterday, was able to attend a Medicine Buddha transmission given by a Canadian dharma teacher who trained with the Dalai Lama. Very cool. I was going just for the interesting-ness of it, but when I got there I realized it was pretty good timing.

I started the Silver tutorial socks this AM! Will keep you all posted!!

Yay! I’m home again, and somewhat settled back in. Soooo nice to be snuggled up in my favorite knitting chair, with Holly the fox terrier next to me and piles of yarn, knitting books and paraphernalia all around :slight_smile: Kinda nice to see DH too :teehee:

While I was gone my 20 skeins of cream-colored alpaca arrived! it’s lovely! It is DK to my eyes, although billed as light worsted hmmmm maybe those two are interchangeable? I have been having fun making swatches using various sizes of needles and even doubling the yarn. I followed the steps on Amy’s video to make center pull balls - nice to know how now!! :cheering:

It JUST occurred to me that I could dye this stuff, since it is natural. I have my eye on a vest from Knit Simple (p.37) which I’d like to do in some lush lavender color. I wonder if I could achieve that with Kool-aid!!?? I’m not sure I can get the gauge right with this weight yarn, hence all these swatches.

I visited 3 yarn stores on my trip, and bought no yarn! :mrgreen: That’s how picky I was, I’m proud of myself. One place in Upland I found yarn that would have looked nice for the vest (above), but the woman working there was so pruney I did not feel like patronizing the store. The store in Mesa AZ was pretty neat but just did not happen to have the colors I wanted. I’ll go there again if the opportunity arises, she had the best selection of superwash in worsted weight I have ever seen.

On the trip I got all the way to where the heel begins on the silver socks. Wanted to hold off on the heel since it requires concentration and I was with family and having fun blabbing :eyes:

More soon!

Yesterday was first day of semester for me at NAU. I’m taking Reading and Writing in ESL, I like the teacher and quite a few of the students were familiar faces from previous semesters. I’m working on a certificate in ESL and I’m not too sure how long its going to take, since I’m taking one course a semester.

Last night I finished the actual heel on the first silver sock, and got started on the gusset. Its going fine and I love the way the yarn is knitting up - its KP Andean Treasures in embers - a rich heathery burgundy color. It feels REALLY good!

I contacted Co-op America, the folks who have the campaign against sweat shop labor as well as info on environmental causes, to ask them about environmental and social impact of yarn production in 3rd world countries. They said that apparently nothing specific has been written about this. I know that a lot of us CARE what effect our knitting has on the world, and we make choices about the yarn we buy hoping that it will help not hurt. I’m hoping to write an article about this.

I need to check out other people’s blogs, I’m missing the interaction!!
:hug: Laura

OMG I’m afraid I will miss sock wars! I have to travel to LA that weekend (Sept 22) and my daughter has already put dibbs in for me to help her pack for her move. :whoosh:

This weekend is set aside for sock knitting though, I’m hoping to finish both pairs I’m working on! The 2 books I need for my ESL class are still not in at the bookstore, so I ordered them online - due to the holiday they won’t be here till Tuesday :pout:

But think of all the time that leaves me to knit!! :happydance: And even happier, my webs order of superwash wool for M’s afghan just got sent! yay!

Well did not get the socks finished over the weekend but got a lot done, especially on the silver ones. I’m on the home stretch for them, probably finish tomorrow.

Instead I went to see our local theatre company production of OKLAHOMA! with DH :teehee: It was so fun! he sat there grinning through all of it, its fun to see a man enjoy a musical! Then on Monday we went to see Pirates of the Caribbean. :thumbsup: I wish I could be like some KH’ers who can knit at the movies!! I’m not there yet, I need plenty of LIGHT! We are usually homebodies so it was fun to be out and about.

WOW I’m in love with this new KP catalog! I already put in my request for Christmas - the interchangeable knit-bag/purse set! Lots of yarn there to love also.

Gotta brag about one of our knitting circle members, Pat - she won best in show at our county fair last weekend for her knitted blanket! :cheering:

Time to get back to knitting - I have the house to myself while DH has taken the girls to Tae Kwan Do. Good timing while I work on this sock gusset!

:waving:

I posted on Angelia’s blog a bit about Jack, and today he looked so cute sprawled out on the arm of the sofa that I had to take his pic. Also attaching a pic of what he did to the learning objectives handout I was using!
OMG MY CAT ATE MY HOMEWORK!

Still have a tiny bit to go on the silver tutorial socks. They are coming out real nice, I’ll take a pic when they’re done. I had hoped to get a good start on Becky’s hat this weekend, but have ended up just hanging out with the family, spending time at the locally owned bookstore - found a GREAT crochet mag that actually has CUTE stuff. In fact there is an afghan I’m chomping at the bit to make, supposedly easy - I hope so! So many of the crochet things I see are not my cup of tea, but this is adorable. Its on the back cover of Crochet Today Aug/Sept issue, the 2-tone green one in Red Heart. I’ll make it is WOTA probably, unless it ends up being for someone who’ll just throw it in the wash.

:blooby: Finishing my socks now…