Joining wool yarn

I’m curios on how people join wool yarn. I’ve been joining wool yarn using the felted join, but I do notice that the join itself is noticable in the work. The thing is, I hate to weave in the ends, mostly because I never feel like I’m actually doing it correctly.

What do you all do?

I’m curios on how people join wool yarn. I’ve been joining wool yarn using the felted join, but I do notice that the join itself is noticeable in the work. The thing is, I hate to weave in the ends, mostly because I never feel like I’m actually doing it correctly.

What do you all do?

Depends on the item. If it’s anything with a seam, I always, always, always start new yarn at the edge, even if it means wasting a few yards. If it’s anything that has an inside and an outside, then when I have a few inches left of the old ball, I just start the new one and after a few sts, go back and knot it. So as far as I can think right now, that leaves scarves, the one thing where the “wrong side” is often visible. In that case you just hide it as best you can, sometimes a couple of sts in from an edge works best. Are you familiar with the Russian Join? A great explanation on that is on the Boy Who Knits website.

I use the felted join.
Are you making sure to fray the ends and then snip half of the plies before you felt them together? I love to use this method when working with wool yarn. I never notice it in the finished work… it might be noticeable if I were making lace or something, but usually it is very invisible.

if I am not using a wool yarn, then I use a Russian Join, this join is much trickier and sometimes the little ends pop up to annoy me, but I just snip them carefully and after I get a few inches into the work they disappear into the stitches. (there is a Russian join demonstration on knittinghelp)

but yes, weaving in ends is awful, and yarn companies only make it worse by selling 50gm skeins of yarn. They are truly sadistic. I don’t want to join yarn 12-20 times in one sweater.

What are you making out of wool that you do not intend to felt? Something itchy?

anyway, I like to use the felted join. You are the only person who will ever know it is there (after very close scrutinization).
but some don’t mind wasting a few yards of yarn, and they like to start at the beginning of a row (which can be very easily hidden in a seam). That is just fine… but make sure you buy a little more yarn that the pattern suggests.
When I have a project 99% complete, and I need just enough yarn to finish a bind off row, and I don’t have quite enough, I look at those “few yards” of yarn that I so carelessly wasted and cry (or… do something more manly). That happened to me when I was making a gift last year. I was so mad at myself, I bought ONE more ball of yarn (which took FOREVER to arrive) and that was when I started using the Russian Join.

If you split the plies so you aren’t using the whole yarn it’s a lot less visible. At least it worked for me. :thumbsup:

I also split the plies to join.

:waving:

Yup me too :thumbsup:

Same as the others, I split them so the resulting join is the same diameter as the rest of the yarn.

I have also begun splitting the plies and it does look a lot better. Give it a try.

OK! You all talked me into splitting the plies! Thanks so much!

I merged the other thread with this one. No need for two. :wink:

Thanks, not sure why it got double posted.

Here are 2 other methods that I often use to join yarn. This is one that I like to use when knitting lace instead of felting. I undo about 2 inches of yarn into 3 or 4 plies. Then, I put the two ends together opposite ends facing, overlapping the split ends over the whole ones. I braid the 3 ends together on either side. It is a lot more secure than just felting them and not noticeable. The other method is weaving the ends on the back side of the knitted fabric as I work. There is a description of it in Sally Melville’s “Color” page 74-75. She has other methods of joining in each of her other knitting books as well.

Lillian