Join to work in the round?

I am working on a MODA DEA Knitted Hooded Poncho.

http://www.modadea.com/patterns/LM0147.htm

I am now ready to do the Neck part. The instructions say…

Pick up and K44 sts around the bottom edge of hood. [color=red]OK - DONE.[/color]
Join to work in the round. [color=red]Ok, this is where I am lost. Why would I join to work in the round when I have only stitched about half way across the bottom edge of the hood? Don’t I want to go all the way across the bottom of the hood before I start working in the round? [/color]

Was I supposed to K these 44 stitches ALL the way across the bottom edge of the hood? That would be weird, wouldn’t it.

Thanks again for everything.

Jennifer

At that point, you’ve already made the hood, right? Or are you just reading ahead? That can be more confusing than actually knitting and following the directions as they come. So, you’re picking up stitches along the bottom of the hood to make the poncho part which is made in the round. That’s why you join there.

sue

At that point, you’ve already made the hood, right? Or are you just reading ahead? That can be more confusing than actually knitting and following the directions as they come. So, you’re picking up stitches along the bottom of the hood to make the poncho part which is made in the round. That’s why you join there.

Yes, I have finished the hood. I think I did everthing right. It looks like a hood. Anyway,

I understand why I am joining at the bottom edge of the hood (the neck will start there) but what I don’t understand is why the directions say to join to work in the round AFTER it has instructed that I K44 stitches on at the bottom. The hood is (hopefully) 66 stitches across so why stop at the 44 mark to join in the round? Perhaps I’m finally over my head with this one. By the way, I am using circular needles. If that makes any difference.

Thanks again.

– should I have stretched the 44 stitches across the entire length of the bottom of the hood?

“PONCHO-Neck: With right side facing and smaller circular needle, attach 2 strands CB at left front edge of hood; pick up and K44 sts around bottom edge of hood; join to work in the round. K 22 and place marker on needle to mark beg/end of rnds at center back. Sl marker every rnd. K 5 rounds.”

You know what - I have decided that CLEARLY I should have knit the 44 stitches across the entire bottom of the hood. Because the next set of instructions say to K22 then put on a marker which will indicate the middle of the back of the poncho.

sigh ---- Is brain surgery this complicated?

I WILL perservere.

Dunno about brain surgery, but… yeah, sometimes you (generic you) have to read the instructions a coupla times before you get it. When you pick up stitches, you won’t always pick up the same number as on the part you’re picking up from. In this case, you only need about 2/3 the number of stitches you had on the hood.

sue

I figured out what I was doing wrong ALL along…this will be good…

I was picking up from around the edge of the FACE of the hood. Not the neck. So, of course, there were alot more stitches there.

That would have been a really terrific poncho.

To make matters even more embarrassing…the face is covered in fringe. You think that would have tipped me off that I was putting the neck in the wrong place.

Learning as we go, right?

Thanks for everything.

It’s the only way to go, baby!!! :cheering:

sue