Join in the round?

I’ve been knitting as a hobby for about 8 years now :3 Good enough to follow patterns, not enough to design my own. And I still don’t really know how to knot in the round without leaving gaps at the join or knit intarsia without hetting the yarn all tangled up at the back.

I’m hoping to learn more here~

Welcome! Sounds like you have lots of great experience. I think the problems you’ve mentioned are common ones that we all face.
There are several kinds of joins, braided, Russian, felted and just overlapping the two strands for a few sts. See if one of the ones toward the end of this tutorial might work for you.
http://blog.shopmartingale.com/crochet-knitting/joining-new-yarn-in-knitting/

Thanks for the welcome! :hug:

No, not that kind of join. I mean the join when knitting in the round.

I’m trying to make a hat with DPNs and there’s a gap in the place where I join the round. I usually use a circular needle when knitting in the round and only just recently starting trying out DPNs, so I dunno if I’m doing some thing wrong…

Sorry if this should go in a separate thread or something :blush: Some forums are kinda strict about keeping questions on their own threads…

Ah, I totally misread your post. There are several ways that are used to give a smoother join in the round. Here’s one that I like:

just my 2 cents…but my favorite way to join in the round, such as knitting socks with dpn is called, “trading places”. Taking the right needle under the first stitch on the left needle and placing it on the right needle. Then take second stitch on the right needle and place it on the left. Continue to knit as usual. The round is complete and joined tightly and neatly. :x:

OMG Salmonmac!
I just saw your video that you posted! LOL! Exactly what I was trying to explain! See what happens when I don’t listen (or read the previous posts!)
Thank you for that youtube video…it’s great!

I like your description, donao: trading places. That’s perfect.

Will I need to do that every round?

No, that’s just for the first round. From then on just continue to work over all the sts in whatever pattern you’re using.