Interpreting Pattern Instructions

I am a frustrated new knitter, trying to teach myself to knit. I have been looking on the internet and found an enormous amount of instructions, but I have found it very difficult to interpret knitting instructions on patterns. I am able to do the different types of stitches and have been practicing, so now I want to try to knit a dishcloth, it looks simple enough…

These instructions are for me like GREEK! I have watched all the videos for beginners on this site which are great, but there is nothing to teach you how to interpret pattern instructions.

Here they are:

Cast on 1 st. 1st row: (RS). (K1. yfwd. K1) all in st. 3 sts.
2nd row: Knit.
3rd row: inc. 1 st in first st. inc. 1 st in next st. K1. 5 sts.

It goes on but I don’t even know how to start… I know how to do the long tail cast on, no problem, then what? I have absolutely no clue what I’m doing. Thanks for any help you can give!

Since you are only casting on one stitch, that would just be a slip-knot. Then you knit into that stitch, yarn over and knit it again (possibly through the back loop) before slipping the first stitch off the needle. At least that’s what it sounds like to me.

Thanks for the info. I will try it and see what happens. I hope it works because I would like to learn more about doing patterns. I think I have the actual knitting pretty well practiced. Maybe Someone could recommend a knitting book on learning pattern lingo…

You might want to look at the “Abbreviations Explained” link at the top of the page. It might help. :shrug:

I already printed that out and read over it, but it didn’t cover what I’m after. thanks anyway.

What are you looking for help on? Some examples would be great.

Ok. I get the cast on and the K1, yfwd, K1. But I don’t get the “all in stitch, 3 stitches”. Then the 2nd row; Knit

What the heck does all in stitch and 3 stitches mean? In 2nd row, it just says knit. How many? I don’t get it.

You’re doing the k1, yfwd, k1 in that one stitch you started with, resulting in 3 stitches. The yfwd followed by the k1 in that one stitch will result in an increase of 2 stitcches.

On the next row, you’ll knit all your stitches.

Following that is another increase row which will result in 5 stitches.

OK, I think I have it now. I thought because it said 3 sts that I had to somehow do 3 more stitches…

Guess I’ve got to start somewhere being dumb…hehe… Thanks again!

I’ll try it.

:wall:

Ingrid.

I tried what you explained and I finally figured it out and I did the entire pattern with not to shabby results! Thanks!! :hug:

:cheering: :cheering: