Intarsia in the round!

I did it! :happydance:

I’m working on a ski sweater that called for me to duplicate stitch part of the pattern that would normally be done intarsia because it is in the round.
I didn’t wanna. After some research, I learned how!

The first row of the color pattern is no problem, nor is every other row after that.

The problem comes on the odd rows, when the yarn is at the wrong end of the pattern. When I did these rows, I knit the stitches that were part of the background for that row and slipped the colored stitches. Then I turned the work and purled the colored stitches and slipped the background stitches that I already knit. Once all the stiches in that section are done, I slipped the whole section back and continued on my merry way.

Best of all—no sewing! :thumbsup:

I didn’t think it was possible to do intarsia in the round!

A basic overview is that you work one color as you slip the second.
Flip the work over and purl the second and slip the one that you already knit. Then slip all of them back on the needle so you can continue knitting. When I have a chance, I’m going to try it with more than 2 colors. :XX:

I wish you could have shared this about 4 months ago! I was working with a yarn that I hated (Berroco Quest) and trying to make a sweater that has a triangle in the front with a different yarn. I decided that using circs might get it over with quickly. But when I got to the second row with the second color - uh oh.

I cut-an-knotted :frowning: . A zillion times. Fortunately it is a vest, and I won’t feel the knots right next to my skin!

Thanks for the technique!

Carie

Before I read about this, I did the same thing on a sleeve on a kid’s sweater. I had put a Celtic dragon on the back so decided to put a Celtic knot running up the side–same problem. I didn’t knot each row, though. The sweater has plain sleeves!

you go girl! do you have a pic you can share??? Sounds very cool.

When I get a digital camera and some computer savvy, I will!

This has been talked about a lot lately and is being used for sock knitting. Normally they knit one round, sl and wrap the fist st of the next round, then turn and purl the next round picking up the wrap when they get to it.

You wind up knitting one round then purling the next and still don’t have to sew a side seam up your sock leg.