Increases

[FONT=“Comic Sans MS”]Hi, I am brand new to this site but am hoping someone can help me. I am knitting a jacket which starts every single row with a sl 1, m 1. I find the “make 1” a struggle each time and don’t think I want to do a whole jacket that way. On the other hand a regular increase, knitting twice in the same stitch is very easy and I can’t see the difference in the results. My question is will it affect the final outcome if I do the increases by knitting twice in one stitch? Hope I have explained this well and thanks for all advice.
Minim

The M1 increase is made between stitches and a Kfb is made into the first stitch. That may make a difference if you are doing a pattern stitch where the stitch count would be affected by that one stitch change. Otherwise I would say it is fine. You can usually change increases if you want as long as the outcome is satisfactory to you.

A kfb (knit twice into one st) is done [B]in[/B] a stitch, the M1 is between sts so it can throw off your incs if you sub it. However you can kfb in the first st in place of sl1, k1; unless it’s an outside edge st, you don’t need to slip it. If it’s going to be seamed, a slipped st edge can be more difficult to do. There are a couple different M1s on the increases page, you could try another one to see if it’s easier. Where are you doing the incs, along the seams, neck edge or what?

Suzeeq, would it throw off the increases if the only increase is at the beginning of each row?

Minim, a simple backward loop M1 is super easy to do and may work in this instance.

If that’s the only one, it wouldn’t throw it off.

Thanks for the quick replies. I just went to the “increase” page and watched the videos. Very interesting and helpful. Never knew there were so many ways to increase. The sweater/jacket I am working on uses the slipped stitch at the begining of each row as a salvege edge. I will try one of the M1T or M1A and see how that works. Also the piece is shaped on a bias so that is why every row increases.
TTFN
Minim