Increases in French Market Bag

Need an explanantion of the increases in the bottom of the French Market Bag from Knitty. I was knitting into the front and back of the first and last stitch on each needle. But if you read at the end of the instructions… it says that the increases occur before and after the first stitch of each needle. How do I do this?

Using double pointed needles and CC, CO 8 sts. Divide so that there are 2 sts on each of 4 needles. [Although it is possible to divide using 3 needles, I recommend using 4 needles as it makes the increasing a lot easier. The increases occur before and after the first stitch of each needle.]

Join by slipping first st onto Needle 4. Pull last st over first st and move the last stitch onto the Needle 1.

Round 1: Knit [8 sts]

Round 2: K1, M1 around [16 sts].

Round 3: Knit.

Round 4: * K1, M1, K3, M1 * around [24 sts].

Round 5: Knit.

Round 6: * K1, M1, K5, M1 * around [32 sts].

Round 7: Knit.

Round 8: * K1, M1, K7, M1 * around [40 sts].

Round 9: Knit.

Round 10: * K1, M1, K9, M1 * around [48 sts].

Continue in this manner, so that all odd rounds are knit and all even rounds have 8 stitches increased until you have 200 sts. Since you are increasing before and after the first st of each of the needles, the first st is going to “pop” up, off the knitted fabric.

I would use the M1 increase rather than kfb. You pick up a loop in between the stitches, so you’d be able to make one before and after the first stitch. You can check out Amy’s video if you need more help.

Why that increase over the other?

Am on increasing on the first and last stitch of every needle?

Candice

There are several reasons I’d use that increase. First of all, it’s the one called for in the pattern. Secondly, it creates a smooth, nearly invisible increase. Thirdly, it seems to “fit” the pattern.

The way the increases are written, you will be increasing twice on each needle. You knit the specified number of stitches, then do the increase, knit the specified number of stitches again, and then do the increase. This will make the increases in the centre of each needle and the end of each needle.

Thanks for trying to straighten my little brain out. I guess I must just really be confused by the lines in the pattern that say:

The increases occur before and after the first stitch of each needle.

and

Since you are increasing before and after the first st of each of the needles, the first st is going to “pop” up, off the knitted fabric. (I don’t know what this “pop” is supposed to look like.)

I was doing an increase after the first stitch of every needle and the last stitch of every needle. Since it is going to be felted, I did not think that the type of increase mattered. I think I am going to start over and use the directions for knitting the bottom of the bag flat and picking up stitches for the body.

Candice

Oops! :oops: I just spotted something, and I read the pattern wrong! You will knit the first stitch on the needle, increase {using the M1}, and then knit to the end of the needle. You will then increase again before starting your next needle.

THanks Nicole. That makes more sense now! I googled some pics of other people’s unfelted FMB and my increases seem to look the same. But since I am going use a different yarn, I think I’ll knit the bottom flat anyway.

Candice

Glad I could help! And even gladder that I caught my mistake before I completely led you in the wrong direction!!!