Increase and Decrease

I am starting a pattern for a blanket that starts at one corner, grows out to two then decreases to one. To increase the pattern just says ‘inc 1’. To decrease it says ‘k2t’. My question is this…since a specific way to increase isn’t mentioned can I use say ‘yo’ or do I need to use a particular increase to match what the decrease side will look like? Or maybe ‘inc 1’ is a specific increase and I just don’t know it yet. :slight_smile: TIA!

Inc 1 isn’t a specific increase unless the designer has defined it that way in the pattern glossary or instructions. There should be some list that tells you what k2t is (Never seen it written that way!) so does it tell you a specific increase there?

You definitely can use YO as your increase, but it will mean you’ll have holes along two edges of the blanket and not the others. Unless you plan to ktbl on the return pass? That still won’t look quite the same as the k2tog. M1 will give you a better pairing with the k2tog. - http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases

Yes, k2t was their shorthand for knit 2 together for the decrease side. Sorry for the confusion on my part. Thank you for clarifying this for me. I knew the YO would leave a hole and was pretty sure the decrease wouldn’t. I’ll check out the M1 increase. Thanks a bunch!

I have one other question. There are several M1 stitches. Which one should I use for this particular pattern or is it just a personal preference?

I wasn’t confused. Just commenting that I’ve never seen it written that way. I suppose it kind of makes sense as it’s shorter than k2tog, but it’s not conventional language.

Increase can be q personal preference, for sure. For most people, it’s about which is the easiest for them to execute and/or remember. You can see from the picture on that link that there isn’t a lot of visual difference in the various M1s she shows.

I’m not sure how she’s executing those specifically without watching all the videos, but I use a lifted version for mine. http://www.twistcollective.com/collection/component/content/article/92-how-to/1047-lifted-increase-lli-rli (Not to be confused with the lifted bar increase which uses the yarn between the stitches rather than that of other stitches.)

1 Like

This is an enlarged version of Grandma’s Favorite Dishcloth. The link to Ravelry has a number of choices for you to look at and if you want the eyelets on the edges it shows how to do them as you decrease also. Lately I’ve done a no holes increase. Kfb works for me because I work in garter stitch and it’s easy, then k2tog for the decrease on the second half.

Can you give us a link to your pattern?

Unfortunately I don’t have a link to the pattern. I found it some time ago on a ‘knit for charity’ website. I tried searching the website out yesterday but could no longer find it. The pattern is simple: Cast on 2 stitches; Row 1: Knit; Row 2: K1, inc 1, K1; Row 3 and subsequent rows: K1, inc 1, knit remaining stitches. Continue until project is 40 inches. To decrease: K1, K2 tog, continue to K1 to end of row. Continue decreasing 1 stitch each row until 2 stitches remain. Bind off.

Thanks so much for the Kfb increase suggestion and the Ravelry link. I’ll look at those patterns as well.

1 Like

Did you find the increase you were looking for?
There are lots of youtube tutorials that teach you how to do them.

The increases I know are simple and easy there is Make1 (M1) & Knit Front Back (KFB)

For a dishcloth I recommend M1 :slight_smile:

Yes I did. I’m actually trying both of those stitches to see which I prefer. :slight_smile: Thank you!

1 Like

I’ve actually seen a few patterns written like this and it is ridiculous, in my opinion to do. I would be careful about using a yo for the increase because it does work for an increase it also creates a pattern stitch in the fabric that is more difficult to duplicate and keep consistent throughout. I suggest for the increase using KFB, knit front and back and for the decrease using k2tog or ssk, depending on if you need the stitches to stack.

1 Like

I’m fairly new to knitting so for me, I agree…crazy to not tell you what increase to use but maybe they assumed everyone would know. Not me. Lol. Anyway, with everyone’s help on this forum I am good to go. I’m using the KFB. Thanks for your input!

that’s a great tip. will take note of that too

1 Like