Inc in next st?

Section of pattern I’m working:
Next Row P 4, inc in next st, [p 2, inc in next st] 2 times, p 5, M1, [p 2, M1] 5 times, p 5, inc in next st, [p 2, inc in next st] 2 times, p 4 – 46 (50, 54, 56, 60, 64) sts. Cont in St st until Hood measures 6½ (7, 7 ½, 8, 8¾, 9) inches, ending with WS row.

What does it mean to inc in next st? Would I kfb? Also, when it says to do something multiple times (2, 5, and 2 in this case), do I only repeat what’s in brackets?

This pattern is driving me loony! :eyes: :wall:

What does it mean to inc in next st? Would I kfb?

Does the pattern tell you what inc they want you to do? The type of inc can sometimes be a design element, or may need to slant a certain direction.

Also, when it says to do something multiple times (2, 5, and 2 in this case), do I only repeat what’s in brackets?

Yes.

Since it seems to be a purl row maybe your increase should be a purl front and back instead of kfb. If you haven’t done one of those before you might check the video section under “increases”. It is a little different than Kfb, sort of twisted.

You’ve got the idea on the brackets. Repeat what is inside the brackets the number of times given and then proceed to the next thing.

Hang in there.

Sorry, I meant pfb!

After watching the videos and doing math and brainstorming with my helpful hubby, I figured out that the pattern is mistaken. For some reason even following the pattern to a T, I ended up with four extra stitches and the side with the extra stitches was obviously longer than the other. I altered some things and I think it’s going to be okay now. Thanks for all the help!

To increase [B]in[/B] a stitch, you would kfb or pfb. Its interesting that late you do a M1, which is an increase between stitches.