I'm so confused!

I have cast on fine. I’m having problems with the knitting on the right needle getting too tight. I’ve read that it is because the yarn is being twisted. I see this happening… but I have no idea how to fix it! :verysad:

try casting on by holding two needles together or casting on to a larger size needle. Then knit your cast on stitches off of the two needles or larger needle and onto the correct size. A lot of people have a hard time w/ casting on too tightly. Hope this makes sense.

you say your cast on is fine.

what are you knitting? (stocking knit? garter?)

and does the problem start right away or after a row or two?

you could be a combination style knitter.

european style knitting results in all the stitches (knits and purls alike) sitting on the needle all aligned in the same directions.
\\\\\\\\\

and you stitch the needle into the front of the stitch.
\\\\ \

but–combo(nation) style knitting results in previously PURLED stitches lining up differently.

so if you work a row of knit (after the cast on) then a row of purl --they will be fine… (not twisted)

but starting with the next row, (row 2 or 3) the stitches will be lined up on needle like this:
/////////////
and to comfortable (and with out twisting!) work those stitches you need to knit into the back of the loop.

since the stiches are aligned in a backwards position, this results in normal knit stitches.

but if you knit into the front (as one normal would for european style knitting) you’ll end up with tight twisted stitches.

Look at your knitting, both the worked fabric (does it have alternate rows of twisted stitches?) and the stitches on the needle–how are they sitting on the needle?

if you are making a combo purl stitch, you have 2 choices.

1–learn to knit combo, (see Ann Modisett)
or
2–learn how to make a european purl stitch.

combo is easier (physically) to do, but requires more thought (at first)

european (standard european) style is physically harder to do, but requires no thought.

both methods have down sides, both have up sides. both are valid ways to knit (though you might find knitters who will tell you, “WRONG, YOU KNIT WRONG!” even though your output (knit fabric) is identical to other knitting!