If a pattern says just "inc" what increase do I do

This is the Under the Hoodie from Stitch n Bitch. Instructions simply say:

Continue in St stitch, inc 1 stitch each side every 6th row…

?? There was a point made to start counting rows on a WA row if that helps. It’s for the sleeve, and it’s knit flat and then seamed.

Thanks for any help you can offer! This is my first sweater and I want to do it right. :slight_smile:

You could either knit two in the first and last stitch or do a M1 in the space between the first two and last two stitches. I usually just do a k2 in the end stitches if it’s a seamed part.

What is WA?

Usually pattern instructions will tell you if there is a particular method to use for increases. Since the increases are all at the seam, I would either do a kfb {knit in front and back} of the second and second last stitch, or do a m1 increase {where you pick up a loop, etc} between stitch 2 and 3, and between the third last and second last stitches.

BTW: Many people will be wondering why I do my increases “in” one more than most people… this is because I nearly always slip the first stitch of a row for a neater selvedge/edge, and I find that the increases seem to knit better when I move them in one stitch then.

Just my 2¢,

Er, sorry, WA=WS. Typo. Wrong Side.

Thanks for the clarification. Wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something obvious as I’m new to all this. :slight_smile:

Thanks Nicole…I don’t slip my first stitch but when I put the needle in as if to k into the second stitch, I tug tightly on the working yarn. This neatens the row pretty nicely. Found that tip in Stitch N Bitch and she credits Maggie Righetti in Knitting in Plain English.

Urgh, just realized I am on a wrong side row, so purling. Do I do a kfb but purl front and back? Or ???

To be honest, I haven’t tried to purl front and back before! I know you can do it, I just don’t know how. I’d probably do a M1 increase since I know how to do those and feel comfortable with them! teehee

You can purl f&b, but if you’d rather do it on the knit side, you can.

If they say to count from the WS :wink: , then wouldn’t that be row 1 of counting for the increases? Row 6 in that case would be a knit side.

For sleeve increases, as long as you increase gradually for as many st as they say, if you start the increases a row earlier or later, it won’t make a bit of difference.

Okay, my question is to Nicole… what do you mean by you “slip the first stitch”. I am a pretty basic knitter still and I am wondering what that means and maybe I should be doing it to make a neater edge… :slight_smile:

Oh sorry, more clarification. It said to knit the ribbing for the cuff. Then 1" of st stitch. End on a WS. Then “cont in st stitch,” etc. So you start on the RS row and count 1-RS, 2-WS, etc, and end up w/the 6th on the WS.

But as you said it doesn’t matter. Which is good to know.

Unfortunately I may have to frog the whole darn thing. Who knew my gauge would be so different from my Boye’s to the Addi Turbos that I bought just for this project. :rollseyes: Live and learn.

Well, it’s better to learn that your gauge is off early on than when you try something on for the first time!

It’s something I was just recently introduced to. Instead of knitting the first stitch of a row, you slip it as if to knit. The loops at the edge of your work don’t seem to be quite so loopy, and it makes an easier edge to seam up later if you need to. IMO, it gives a nicer finish. Sometimes the pattern will tell you to slip the first stitch as well. The fishy afghan I’m working on tells you to slip the first stitch of each row purlwise.

When I do scarves, or something where the edge isn’t seamed, I slip the first stitch as if to purl and knit the last stitch of every row. When you slip the first stitch in this case and knit the next, you bring the yarn to the back around the right hand edge, and it gives a nice little edge to it.

I am also making sweater sleeves and have been doing what the video demo lady calls a “bar increase” at the beginning and end of every 6th row (actually, each row after a 6th row). This is the “kfb” increase, where you knit a stitch, leaving it on the left needle, then knit again into the back of the same stitch, before sliding if off the needle. Actually, I think of it as pearling into the back of the stitch, since I enter it from the right of the stitch rather than from the left. Anyway, I do it the same way she shows in her video clip (the one for “English” knitters).

My problem is, this increase looks great when done at the beginning of a row, since it slants to the right, but it looks a bit funny done at the end of a row. It makes the slope of the knitting look jagged. I know it’s not going to show anyway, since the sleeve is going to be sewn together, but I’d really like to know how to do an inverse stitch to the kfb… something that is similar, but slopes to the left instead of to the right.

Does anyone know what I’m talking about, and can you offer some advice? Please?

Thank you,
Helen

You might want to try the M1 in the space between the two end stitches. It’s virtually invisible.

If you want to continue with the bar increase, have you tried purl f&b on the reverse side? I don’t know if it will lean the way you want, but it’s worth a shot.

Thanks, Ingrid. Is M1 the increase where you pick up the yarn between your 2 stitches?

I won’t need to pfb because the sweater is in garter stitch. :slight_smile: But basically you mean to increase at the beginning of the next row, instead of at the end of a row?? I tried a few variations with some extra yarn and found that that solution seemed to work the best. 2nd best (that I could figure out) was to kfb at the beginnings of rows, and kbf at the ends of rows.

-Helen
:XX:

M1 is the one where you pick up the bar between the two stitches and knit into the little loop in the back.

I’d never considered kbf–learn something new every day! Yes, for the purl inc you could do it on the next row.