Ideas for a surprise first project?

I got a gift card from work yesterday and decided I’d order some books - including a beginner crochet book! I was thinking I’d try to make something to surprise my mum, who taught me to knit, maybe for her birthday in January. Something simple, easy and either decorative or practical would be good. I can’t guarantee anything will come of this, but I want to give it a go.

1 Like

There are small crochet bags, coasters, dishcloths, bookmarks. It depends on what your mom likes to do.
It’s good of you to launch into something new like this. My sister started crocheting about a year ago and loves it.

2 Likes

Thanks, salmonmac! If I get into it properly I do want to make some converse style slippers - I found a great YouTube video a while back and the person making them is very thorough with the instructions. I knitted some, but didn’t enjoy making them very much. The soles didn’t fit very well and I didn’t realise it was better to do a size smaller until it was too late. The recipients loved them, though, so it was ok!

1 Like

Round items are fun and pretty easy - coasters or trivets or potholders. Your book should have a pattern for a flat circle, or look online. Crochet loosely in a pretty 100% wool using a large hook and then felt! Also fun to embellish with needle-felted dots or stripes in contrasting colored roving. Or embroidery. Have fun.

1 Like

A couple of over-sized granny squares can be made into a cushion cover. There are lots of patterns that let you make some very nice slippers from granny squares. If you are living in an area that gets cold in the winter, a scarf would be an easy project to start with. The first project that I made was with the help of my grandmother who was teaching me to crochet at the time. It was in the 70’s and we called it a “shrink”. It was basically a pullover vest made from two large granny squares. The first time I attempted a project on my own, I chose to make a full sized afghan made from small granny squares because it was so portable. I would not recommend this for a first time project. It took a very long time, and there were a lot of ends to deal with when it was finished. Good luck with whatever you do.

2 Likes

Thanks, Snowfleas - the “shrink” sounds interesting! And the afghan more like “it was a good idea at the time”! I’m not fond of sewing lots of ends in, either lol.