;-; I need help with the knit stitch!

Okay, so I started knitting about three weeks ago, and I know how to knit, purl, cast off, and all that jazz…
But every time I try to knit the first row, I’d get this line inbetween the two needles. As I knit more stitches onto the right needle, the string of yarn inbetween them gets longer, and when I knit the last stitch, I have a huge loop connected to the last two stitches! And it’s only the first row that this happends, all the other rows I can do fine.
I have no idea what I’m supposed to do about it, can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong, because I don’t know how it keeps happening.

Hmm…I’m not sure what you might be doing. Check the videos here in KH to make sure you’re doing it properly.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knit-stitch

Here’s more help here-
http://www.knitpicks.com/content/index.php/cat/how-to-knit/

As far as the long line between the stitches, my first semi-intelligent guess is that you are using the backwards loop cast on? Do you cast on with one needle sort of making a loop at a time with your thumb and scooping it up with one needle? I only use that method when casting on in the middle of the project and I dislike how loose it can get. When you knit the first row, it get’s really long between stitches. As far as a big loop on the end, that’s common, as most of the experts on here advise, that last or even the first stitches are only anchored on one side and you just have to sort of tug to tighten it up as you do those stitches and just keep on going.
Hope my two cents helps, but fore sure check out the videos, visuals work best for me.:thumbsup:

I agree with BinkyKat; sounds like you’re doing the backwards loop cast on. While it may be very easy, it causes a lot of problems. Try the knitted or cable cast on, or even the long tail. The `thumb’ variation of the LT is what I use and it’s like the backwards loop but you kind of knit a stitch too. Look at the videos and practice.

Thanks, but it’s hard to find a video on how to knit the first row, usually they’ll just show how to knit while using an example that’s already halfway done.
Thanks for the advice! :3

It’s not knitting the first row that’s making your problem, it’s the cast on. Try out a different one or two.

I used to have this exact problem until I learned the long-tail cast-on. It’s a little trickier than the backwards loop cast-on, but well worth learning. And I think I even learned it from the videos on this website.