I need help with stitching to cast on for a hat

I am going to knit a basic hat 20 inches size. I don’t know how how many stitches I need to cast on with this yarn (attached). The pattern is just K2.P2. entire hat.

Thank you so much and I appreciate for any answers.
Zon

Hi Zon,
Your yarn band states that a 4’’/10cm square swatch is knit over 14 stitches (st) x 20 rows using 6mm needles.Your own gauge could be different, have you knit a gauge swatch in stocking stitch? ( everyone knits differently, some knit tighter - others knit more loosely, it can make a big difference to the finished project )
If you want to knit a 20’’ circumference hat using this yarn with 6mm needles (if this is the size you need to get gauge) then you divide 20’’ by 4’’ = 5 x 14sts = 70 sts. If your gauge doesn’t match what is stated on the band then your fabric could be either too tight or too loose.
While 2 x 2 rib (k2,p2) is very stretchy, it can appear to look too small while it’s being knit up
Hope this helps, give it a go and good luck with your project.:smiley:

PS. post a photo of your hat when it’s done and if you need any further help just ask!!

1 Like

Agreed. The only thing I’d add is that if you’re working in k2p2 rib, the number of sts needs to be divisible by 4. You could change the cast on to 68 or 72sts to accommodate that pattern.

1 Like

Agreed. I overlooked that, thank you salmonmac :blush:

Thank you so much. I really appreciate that. Last year I knitted a hat for my husband with the same yarn for 72 sts with 5.5 mm needle. It came out very small (picture attached). So this year for Christmas gift I will try again with 6 mm needle as recommended and will knit a gauge swatch in stocking stitch first. Thank you again. :blush:

1 Like

Thank you so much. I will try with 72sts with 6mm needle. :blush:

The het is very nicely done. Going up a needle size will help.

Your hat is lovely, the cables are gorgeous and your knitting looks neat and even. Cable work does tend to ‘shrink’ your fabric but you usually cast on with a greater number of stitches to allow for it.
Did you follow a pattern to make it ? It’s a great hat :grinning:

1 Like

Agreed. I always cast on more than necessary when working in cables. Every cable is going to shrink your finished project that much more. You have to think that every time you cable you’re pulling the finished cloth together to cause that raised look in the cables. It’s almost like doing a cable negates about half the stitches involved in the cable. So if you have 10 cables involving 4 stitches per cable you might want to increase your stitch cast on by 20 stitches to compensate for the loss.

You can always do a swatch with the cables to see what your actual stitch/inch ratio is.

I will get a 6 mm needle soon. :slight_smile:

Thank you. No, I didn’t follow a pattern. That’s why. lol. When I get the new one done, I will show you.

1 Like

I will keep that in mind and swatch will help. Thank you so much.

I have knitted a new hat for my husband’s Christmas gift. I decided to knit with different yarn because I found the 100% wool yarn in the store nearby. I also made a fleece lining for it too. A swatch really helps. Thank you so much for all suggestions

2 Likes

Wonderful hat and a great Christmas present. Love the lining. Well done!

1 Like

Nice looking hat!

1 Like

Thank you. :slight_smile: Merry Christmas.

Thank you :slight_smile: Merry Christmas.

Great Christmas present !

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: Merry Christmas.

Gorgeous hat :smile: and a lovely gift which your husband will enjoy for many years.
:snowflake: Merry Christmas :christmas_tree: