I need help reading a pattern Pretty Pleeeeze!

:knitting:

I am working on my first cable sweater for my husband, and I am trying to figure out how to read this pattern for the sleeve.

Could someone please help me understand it??

With smaller needles, cast on 45 sts. Work in k1,p3 rib for 2 1/2"/6.5 cm. Change to larger needles. [COLOR=“DarkRed”]Cont in rib, inc 1 sr each side (working inc sts into rib) every 4th row 5(10,16,21) times, then every 6th row 11(7,3,0) times - 77(79,83,87) sts.[/COLOR] Work even until piece measures 21(21,21 1/2, 21 1/2)" / 53.5(53.5,54.5,54.5) cm from beg. Bind off all sts loosely in pat.

The part I dont understand is marked in red.

Thanks

You’re making the sleeve wider on the way up, but you want to maintain the ribbing.

One thing to do is to do a basic increase at the edge, and then on the next row, work those new stitches in the rib pattern.

You start your ribbing with

. . . . . kpppkpppkpppkpppk. . . and increase to
. . . . .pkpppkpppkpppkpppkp. . .
. . . . ppkpppkpppkpppkpppkpp. . etc

You’ll increase at each end of the row on rows 4, 8, 12, 16, etc., depending on what size you’re making.

After those increases are done, you’ll work the increases on the 6th row from the last increase and on row 12, 18, 24, etc. after that.

Hi Ingrid,

Does this mean I increase one stitch at the beginning and end of each 4th row and 6th row??

Not and… You would increase every 4th row [COLOR=Black]5, 10, 16 or 21 times (depends which size you’re doing); then switch to increasing every 6th row for however many times your size is until you have the correct number of stitches for your size.
[/COLOR]

Thak you very much Suzeeq, I read it over and over again till I understood. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out.

Thank you too Ingrid for helping me understand how to read patterns.

I know where to come to for help, I love this site and think you have all done an awesome job.