I lost the needle at the end of the row-help please!

I’ve just gotten the hang of knitting and started to get a little ahead of myself. At the end of a row of a scarf I’m working on, I slid the needle in my right hand off of the left needle too fast, so the last two loops in the left needle both slid off of the needle. I successfully completed the stitch on the [I]next [/I]to last loop, but the [I]last [/I]loop is just hanging off and I can’t figure out how it’s supposed to go back on the left needle so I can continue. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Are you saying that you have one loop hanging in space that needs to be knit to complete the row? If so, just stick a needle back through the middle of it and knit it. If it seems to be twisted tink it back onto the left needle and either turn it around and knit it or leave it twisted and knit it through the back loop.

Well there are actually two loops left–one bigger than the other–but when they first slipped off they were twisted somehow to make the one last loop. I think they should twist somehow together to make the last loop, but I can’t figure out what that should look like.

What stitch are you using? Like stockinette, or garter, etc? And which side of the work did you just finish? I just tried it on some stockinette–knit a row, purl a row. At the end of a knit row I knocked the last stitch off of the left hand needle and then unraveled it so that it had two loops. I ended up with a loop right at the end and what was actually like the ladder loop when you drop a stitch. What I did to remedy it was to stick a crochet hook through the middle of the loop right at the end and grab the other loop and pull it through the first loop. I think there is a video about picking up dropped stitches. It is the same as that, but because it is right at the end of the row instead of looking like a ladder it looks like a loop. It is a little trickier than a regular dropped stitch because of being at the end. If it is another stitch, or at the end of a purl row, it would be slightly different.

You could make a little sample swatch of a few stitches and drop the last stitch off and then make it come apart to form the two loops and practice fixing it, then try it on your scarf.

You could also tink the whole row, and I think it would involve tinking the next row too until it got back where you would have just one loop, like normal.

I’m just doing a basic knit stitch; it’s all I know how to do. I only have the one set of needles. I guess I’ll go to the yarn store tomorrow and pick up some more needles to try to recreate my situation and figure out what I’ve done. But first I’ll look for a video on dropping stitches. Thanks for that terminology–dropped stitch–I wasn’t sure exactly what to search for. Thanks for all your help.

Hi again,

I just spent some time looking at what this site has to offer in the video section about fixing errors. When you hold your cursor over “View Videos” at the top of this page, you get a drop down menu, select “Tips” and it takes you to a page where there are some videos about fixing errors. I didn’t look at all the videos, but I looked at the one about fixing a “run or dropped stitch”. She does it a different way than I do, I have always used a crochet hook to do this. What she does works, but is not real helpful with that end stitch, at least to me. LOL

I thought she would have a video about unknitting a row or several rows one stitch at a time. This is sometimes called tinking, because “tink” is “knit” spelled backwards. I thought that might be easier for you in a way. She does have a video about inserting a needle into what she calls “a destination row”. I don’t do that either, but it may work for you. You would insert the needle into a chosen row right below the error and then unravel the knitting back till that row of stitches that is correct is the row on the needle and all problem stitches are eliminated, and then pull on the yarn and unravel to that point. I have dial up connection and it takes a long time to look at the videos. I don’t know if she shows it just in stockinette (knit a row, purl a row), or if also in garter (knit every row, which is what you are doing). If she shows it only in stockinette, it would be slightly different in your case, but you might be able to get it. Again experiment on another piece before you try it on your scarf.

Another thing is just to take the work entirely off the needles and unravel back past the mistake and then reinsert the needle. The videos cover that as well. That should be pretty easy to get from the video I’d think.

On what I was telling you about using the crochet hook… I tried it with the garter stitch like you are using and it is a little different than the case I explained above. Here is what I learned. (I sure wish I could show you; it would be a lot easier that way.) It turns out the same way at the end of any row, so there is only one way to have to consider.

You have the two loops, one right at the end (far left), and the other just to the right of that, it may be a little bigger than the end loop. You need to take that loop that is not at the end and without twisting it or anything put it over the top of the other loop. Think of it this way. If you were a cowboy and were going to throw your lasso over a post, the end loop would be the post, and you put the other loop over the end loop like it were the lasso. After you have the loop to the right, over the end loop take your crochet hook in hand and moving it from the back to the front put it through the “lassoed loop” (the end loop). The crochet hook should go over the part of the lasso that is behind the end loop. With the crochet hook, snag the front side of the lasso and pull it backwards through the loop. Now take the resulting loop that is on the crochet hook and put it on your free knitting needle, so that you can knit it off to join the other stitches of the scarf. There is a right way and a backwards way for the loop on the left needle to be positioned before you knit it, but if you can’t tell the difference, I don’t think it will be the end of the world to do it any way you can, as long as it isn’t obviously twisted into some big mess. :slight_smile: Ideally it should be positioned so that the leg of the loop nearest you is a little ahead (closer to the end of the knitting needle) of the back leg of the loop. You can just turn it around if it seems backwards, but don’t worry about it too much.

The only other thing is that when you put the crochet hook through the end loop there is a front and back way that should go as well. Again, I think it is not crucial, but if you want to get it just right, the best way is probably to notice how the stitch it sitting right after you pull the loop out of it when you are experimenting with a little swatch. When you knock one stitch off the end of the row, and then use a crochet hook to pull up on the little strand between the last stitch on the needle and the single hanging stitch, notice how the resulting loop right at the end was sitting before it got disturbed. That position is the optimal one for it to end back up in when you run the crochet hook through it. But don’t be too concerned about it, it will look pretty good if you do it either of the ways it seems to want to go.

If this is of any use to you, and doesn’t have you totally wringing your hands and pulling your hair, you might find it helpful to print out these directions (if you are going to try to use them, or work in front of the computer), and have a patient friend read slowly though what you are supposed to do, one step at a time, while you keep the knitting in hand. Good luck. Learning to fix errors is so daunting when you first start knitting, but so important. It is not as hard as this makes it seem.