I have to ask one more time....Sock Question

Good morning all :slight_smile:
I’m working on Silver’s Sock Tutorial. I’ve completed one pair and have started on a second. I hope I can articulate this question to give a good visual so I can get the correct answer (and solution if there is one). Below are the instructions for the beginning of the heel. If I follow these instructions exactly slipping one purlwise at the beginning of each row I end up with one side of the heel having nice neat "V’"s however the other side looks different-it has these little knots. How do I make both sides of the heel the same so that when I go to pick up the stitches it is nice and neat? Does this make sense? Any help would be appreciated. Am I doing something wrong to have them look different? :?? :wall:

Work back and forth on needle #1.
Row 1 (on the right side of your work): Slip 1, Knit 1 Repeat between * across, turn work. (32 24 20 stitches)
Row 2 (wrong side): Slip one, purl across. (Slip ONLY the first stitch, purl the rest including the slipped stitches from row 1.)

This link will get both edges looking the same. Both will have that chain-type look. The key is to slip the first stitch purlwise with the yarn in front, and then if you’re knitting the next stitch, bring the yarn to the back between the two needle tips, not just bringing it to the back under the right needle. The tutorial linked above is pretty thorough about that though.

Like I said though in an earlier post, I have better success with the two edges of the heel flap looking the same, post picking up stitches, if I do it the way that you described first. For some reason when I do the ‘chain selvedge’ (the link above) I end up with one edge looking perfect and the other edge having little holes. :shrug:

If the row is a knit row, bring the yarn to the back of the work and proceed to knit as usual. If the row is a purl row, simply leave the yarn at the front of the work and purl away. Remember - even on a purl row, the last stitch must be knitted in order for the chain to come out right.

So this means I have to knit the last stitch even on the purl row in order to have the chain if I’m reading correctly. This makes sense! But are you saying you get a little hole when you use this method?

Let me see if I can get some pictures ready to show you what I mean…

Thanks so much KnitQueen! :slight_smile:

Here you go. :smiley:

The multicolored sock has no holes along the heel flap edge where the stitches were picked up. On this one, on knit rows I slipped the first stitch as if to purl with the yarn in back, and on purl rows I slipped the first stitch as if to purl with the yarn in front. I knitted the last stitch of EVERY row.

The cream colored sock has little holes all along the heel flap edge where the stitches were picked up. On this sock, I followed the instructions exactly from the link I gave for the chain selvedge.

Hope this helps!

Forgot to mention…when I have the edge that has the little “knots” along it rather than V’s, to pick up stitches I put my needle tip under both strands of yarn between each of the “knots” and then pull the yarn through.

Thanks for the detailed explanations and good photos. This is something I’ve been trying to figure out as well.

Thank you so much! I believe I was getting the knots because I was holding the yarn in front on the slip purlwise.

You’ve been a great help!