I goofed! Ribbing/buttonhole

I just bound off the back of Enigmatic.

I started the fronts and had recorded how many rows of ribbing I did on the back so I could match it on fronts/sleeves. Well, I realized that I didn’t do the right number for some reason, pattern called for 1-1/4" and I did 1-1/2" (2 rows difference and I’m thinking I did it because it was really close between 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 and wanted to end on the proper side.)

I figured no big deal, I would just do 1-1/2" all around, but I have a problem now with how to do the buttonhole. I’ve never done a garment with a buttonhole before, so I have nothing to go on. The instructions say (after the intended 1-1/4" ribbing)

When piece measures 1-1/2" from cast-on edge (row 3 of cable pattern) work buttonhole as follows…

The problem here being that I’m starting row 1 of the cable pattern at 1-1/2", so already there. How do I fix this? Is it more important that I begin the buttonholes on row 3 of the cable pattern or more important that I do it as close to 1-1/2" as possible, meaning my first pattern row after the ribbing? I’m not ripping the entire back because of 2 extra ribbing rows, that’s just out of the question. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks a bunch!

Do the buttonhole at 1 1/2" (which is where you are now, right?) and place the rest of the buttonholes according to the measurements in the following pattern instructions. The buttonholes don’t seem to be part of the cable column but look like they’re on a band running next to the cable so it should be ok.

I agree with salmonmac. Don’t even think of redoing the back. :lol: You’ll be fine.

Yes, do it like the girls said. You can stretch the fronts out a little bit lengthwise when you sew the side seams or knit two more rows at the top of the sweater in pattern to make the front and back lengths the same. It’s only a quarter of an inch. There’s no knitting police here. I assume the mistake is at the bottom? Nobody’s going to notice it there anyway. The eyes naturally will look to the top of the sweater. Relax and enjoy knitting the rest of the sweater. It’s beautiful! You have such an eye for finding great patterns!

This is a little trick I use when I’m missing a button on my blouse and can’t find a matching replacement. I will replace the button with the bottom one. I will either leave that bottom button missing (chances are you tuck your shirt in anyway) or replace the bottom one with a button that is close but doesn’t match exactly. No one notices.

This is getting off the subject a little bit. My mother grew up in the Depression and always saved things like buttons and zippers when a worn garment was thrown out (or reused as a quilt). I never saw the wisdom in this until I went to buy these in the store. A card of two buttons is like ten dollars and zippers can run twenty dollars or more.

I think everyone should have a button jar. You can sometimes buy these in thrift stores. Craft stores also sell bags of buttons that can really come in handy when you’re missing one off your favorite shirt. One of the best things a single man should learn is how to sew on a button and how to do simple sewing repairs for a tear or rip. There’s the old adage: A stitch in time saves nine.

One of my local Joann’s consistently has a very large bin of clearance buttons and I started stocking up a few weeks ago. I mean cheap, like 25 cents a card, sometimes even 10 cents. I don’t go for the fancy shmancy ones, which can sometimes still be a few dollars even on clearance, but I grab the cheapies whenever and where ever I find them! For this project in particular, I have had my heart set on dark brown leather buttons even before I cast-on so I will splurge on those unless I come across a lucky find somewhere.

As for sewing the buttons on, I currently own two sewing machines (mom’s Slantomatic from 1960 and my new Janome) but I am still learning. I’ve hand-sewn several buttons though, but have not yet managed a half-decent hem LOL. I am learning, though!!! When the day arrives that I have more time (still waiting!) I really hope to delve much deeper into making and reparing clothes. I know times have changed, but the way people reused, recycled, and made things last in days gone is something we can all learn from. I’m currently stashing away my overworn Life Is Good T-shirts to make yarn with and knit a rug. :slight_smile:

You can easily sew buttons on with a sewing machine. You dial the length and width to zero at first to anchor the thread through one of the holes. You will then adjust the stitch length to zero and adjust the zigzag width to sew over the button and into two of the button holes. It makes a bar tack and is fast to do. You need to turn the wheel by hand when you make these adjustments so you don’t break the button or needle. You’ll need the special button foot attachment that comes with the machine for this. If you don’t have one, you can probably make do by removing the presser foot, putting the presser foot lever in the down position, and sewing the button on using the machine like you would for machine embroidery.