I-cord. Help!

Apparently this is supposed to be very easy, but no matter what I do, I end up with a flat piece instead of the cord. I am finishing up a hat that calls for the top to be an i-cord. I am using double pointed needles, and I can get as far as pushing the knitting to the other side of the needle, but then I have no clue what to do. I have tried 3 videos–the one on here and two women on youtube (Judy and Vicki). Could someone please describe what I should be doing? Maybe I would do better with written instructions. Thanks so much!

After you have knit 3 or 4 row begin to pull on the bottom of the cord. The round begins to appear as you pull. Also don’t knit to tight this give it room to round out.

Cast on 3 (or 4) stitches and knit one row. Don’t turn…just slide the stitches to the right end. The working yarn will be coming from the first stitch on the left. Pull it across the other stitches and knit each stitch across. Slide the stitches to the right end and repeat.

It takes about an inch or more before you really start to see it look like a cord.

Here’s some still pictures that might help.
http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=196

Thanks–this sounds like what I am doing. I have 5 cast on stitches though. I am knitting the 5 stitches, sliding it down the double pointed needle and knitting into the top stitch (the one that is furthest to my left). My yarn is on the right side of the stitch I am knitting into (ends up being same side as the previous row knitted). Is that wrong? I have maybe a 1/2 inch now, but it still looks flat and not cord-like.

You would be knitting the stitch that is furthest to the right… on the end of the needle. The yarn coming from the stitch on the left across the other stitches is what will make it curve into a cord.

So you knit one row like normal. If you turned it the yarn would be coming from the stitch on the end at the point…BUT you aren’t turning…you are sliding so the working yarn is coming from the "wrong’ stitch…the one on the other end of your work. Pull it across and knit that first stitch. Then the next, etc. Then slide not turn.

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]So glad that this has been brought up. I’ve been tearing my hair out over this but I was thinking that maybe I’m pulling my working thread the wrong way… I’ve been pulling it on the front of my work, should I be pulling it on the back of it, instead?
And it never occurred to me to pull on the tail.
My i-cord looks flat most of the time and when it doesn’t, it looks like I’ve been tying little knots all over it.
But then I’m thinking I’m trying to knit it too tight…
In any case, I’m on the look out for a spool. :aww:
TEMA
Crossed Fingers [/COLOR]

Yes, you should be pulling it across the back. It’ll be pulled across whatever number of stitches you have.

This is the clearest, simplest video I’ve found.

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]Hi Jan,
Thanks so much for the video. I’ve watched it a number of times and have saved it so I can watch it again - everytime I have to knit an Icord… I think I’ve got it.
Seems so simple when yu see someone else doing it.
Appreciate the help very much.
TEMA:knitting: [/COLOR]