I-Cord Bind Off Question

Hi,

The bag I am making calls for an I-Cord BO. The directions are not that good, so I searched for different ones. I want to know if this sounds right:

1. Cast on 3 sts (using Cable CO)
  2. With dpn k2, ssk
  3. Move those 3 sts from the dpn back onto the circular.

Repeat this for all sts to be bound off.

Does this sound like the right way to do this?

Thank you!!

Yes. As you go, you’ll see that each time you do this you pick up one more of your original stitches.

Ingrid,

Thank you for your help!! I sent you a PM, but I’m not sure I did it right so I figured I’d reply here. I am wondering if I may have misread my pattern. The instructions for the I-Cord BO read: “With RS of work facing and using cable or twisted loop method, CO 3 sts. Using a dpn, k2, ssk. Slide 3 sts just worked to other end of a dpn and bring yarn around back of work, ready to begin working next row.”

Other instructions that I read for I-Cord BO say that you slide the 3 sts back onto the circ needle and then do the k2, ssk again. Which do you think is correct?

Thank you again for your help!!

Kelley

I answered the pm–so obviously you did it right.

If anyone else is interested, I said that they are both forms of icord bind off but that the first one is probably sturdier. Since it’s what the designer calls for, I’d go with that one.

Hi, again,

This just isn’t making any sense to me. I am working on a practice swatch and it just doesn’t look right. If I cast on 3 stitches, use a dpn and k2, ssk, move the stitches to the end of the dpn and then repeat it doesn’t seem like I’m really binding off. It just seems like I’m doing a decrease. Is that the way that it is supposed to go?

When I k2, ssk and slide it to the other end of the pdn, am I doing that just to move those stitches out of the way and hold them?

Thanks again…hopefully I will get this sometime tonight!! :slight_smile:

In the pm, you said that when you’re doing this method that the ssk is done with one stitch from the dpn and one from the circ, so you’re taking one stitch at a time from the circ and that’s where the bind off occurs.

"It says for the I-Cord B): “With RS of work facing and cusing cable or twisted loop method, CO 3 sts. Using a double-pointed needle, k2, ssk. Slide 3 sts just worked to other end of a dpn and bring yarn around back of work, ready to begin working the next row. Repeat this row for each st to e bound off, working next st from circ needle tog with last st on dpn for each ssk”.

If I’m working the next st from the circ together with the last on the dpn, don’t I need to slide the stitches back on the circ each time rather than just sliding them to the end of the dpn? Maybe I’m not understanding what the pattern means by slide it to the end. When I work the 3 stitches and then slide them to the end of the dpn, I’m doing the k2, ssk with stitches from the cirn. So this means that I’m not working the next st from the circ together with the last st on the dpn.

I think it means to slide it to the other end. So I believe what you do is to cast on those three stitches on the circ, use the dpn to do the k2 ssk.

Then you slide your stitches to the other point. Your yarn will not be in the first stitch of the needle, which is why it tells you to bring it around back to be ready to work. So essentially, if I’m picturing this correctly, your needles will be somewhat parallel. You’ll work the stitches from the dpn and get one from the circ.

Thank you, Ingrid!!

I FINALLY got it…yay!! :slight_smile: I guess I just wasn’t understanding that you would knit the stitches off of the dpn, I thought you were just moving them over.

Thank you SO much!!

Kelley

:cheering: :cheering: