I am wondering about this pattern

"SLEEVES

With smaller needles, cast on 33 (33, 37) sts. Work 6 rows Stockinette st, then K1, P1 Rib until piece measures 2 (2, 2) inches from beg. Inc 13 (16, 15) sts on last row of ribbing – 46 (49, 52) sts. Change to larger needles and work in Stockinette st inc 1 st at each edge every 5 (5, 5) rows 13 (13, 15) times. Work even until piece measures 12 (13, 14) inches from beg. Bind off loosely."

My question is how do I increase the stitches. do I do it in the middle of the row, or wait until the end?

also, increasing this way seems like it will make the sleeve look funny. To me, it would make more sence if it said to increase one or two stitches every row for a gradual increase in the size of the sleeve. The way it is written, it seems like it will just be really big, really fast. Will it be ok?

You will want to spread out the first set of increases evenly.

also, increasing this way seems like it will make the sleeve look funny. To me, it would make more sence if it said to increase one or two stitches every row for a gradual increase in the size of the sleeve. The way it is written, it seems like it will just be really big, really fast. Will it be ok?

If you read on past the part you made bold you will see that there are further increases made as you work up the sleeve so that it won’t be a long tube, it will graduate out as you get up to the shoulder.

Most sweaters have you increase after the ribbing. The ribbing is tight on your arm and then the sleeve will blouse out a little. After that, as boogs pointed out, there are gradual increases for the shape of the sleeve.

oh, I see. Thanks ladies!