How would add sleeves to this sleeveless sweater pattern?

Does anyone know how I would add sleeves to this sleeveless sweater pattern?
http://www.wrights.com/class/needlework/sixhoursweater/sixhoursweater.htm
This is such a fun sweater for a newbie.
Susie

You could pick up stitches around the armhole and knit down, decreasing every 5-6 rows.

That’s a cute sweater, Susie! It wouldn’t take much to turn that into a cardigan, either (which is what I want to make for me).

:cheering: :muah:

Ingrid,
I think I know what you mean by pick up the stitches. The pattern says to sew up the sides 12 inches and you are suppose to have the total length 19" I want it longer so I plan to go 22". How do I know if I have the arm hole big enough? So I would sew it up the extra four and try it on and check?
Do I decreasing one stitch on each side every 5 or 6 rows???
Thanks,
Susie

I thought it was pretty cute too.
Maybe I will just leave this one as is and do another and add sleeves. :slight_smile: I think this one is going to be VERY form fitting so I think I want to make the next a size up.
Susie

Ingrid,
I think I know what you mean by pick up the stitches. The pattern says to sew up the sides 12 inches and you are suppose to have the total length 19" I want it longer so I plan to go 22". How do I know if I have the arm hole big enough? So I would sew it up the extra four and try it on and check?
Do I decreasing one stitch on each side every 5 or 6 rows???
Thanks,
Susie[/quote]

You wouldn’t have to decrease, the ribbing pulls in some. As for making it longer, you’d leave the top 7-8" unsewn for armholes. I’d go with a larger measurement unless you’re a really small person. The armholes on a sleeveless top are usually a bit smaller than on a sweater.

sue

Sue,
I’ve already made the front of the sweater. I’m not tiny by any means but small.
I think I will finish this one and leave it as the pattern says except for making it longer and I think I will make another in the next size and add sleeves.
Thanks for your help. I’ll be sure to remember what you said about 7 to 8"s,
Susie