How to work shoulders at the same time

Hello All:

I can’t move forward on these instructions. I am a making a jacket that has a shawl collar (6 pieces total). I’m almost finished with the back and need to shape shoulders and neck. So, I have binded off sts for the neck and the directions state. Join ball of yarn to other shoulder. Working shoulders AT THE SAME TIME and with separate strands, bind off 3 sts from each shoulder edge.

How do I work both shoulders at the same time? Do I get two extra needles?

Thanks so much:woot:

Nope, no extra needles. You’ll have one shoulder, with one ball of yarn, a gap (neck) then the second shoulder, with the 2nd ball of yarn, but all worked on the same 2 needles. :slight_smile:

Thank you. I could kiss you, I can move on now.

I think I’m trying to knit the same pattern! I’m so lost! Please someone tell us how to, “working shoulders AT THE SAME TIME and with separate strands, bind off 3sts from each shoulder edge, then bind off 4 sts from each shoulder edge. AT THE SAME TIME, bind of 2 sts from each neck edge over next 2 rows”

Please help!
Thanks!!

That simply means that you’ll have to consider both edges, the shoulder edge and the neck’s edge AT THE SAME TIME.

You’ll have to consider more than just one instruction for each row. If you are working both shoulders at the same time…for example: [B]

RS Row 1:[/B] bind off 3 at the shoulder…work to end…skip over to other shoulder, bind off 2 at neck edge…work to end. [COLOR=Blue]TURN WORK. [/COLOR]
[B]WS Row 2:[/B] Bind off 3 at shoulder edge…work to end…skip over to other shoulder, bind off 2 at neck edge…work to end.

AT THE SAME TIME simply means that more than one thing has to be considered on each row, or sometimes, on each successive row.

It helps me to write it all out, row by row.
Each line tells me what I’m supposed to do ON THAT ROW.