How to read this knitting pattern

I’m a beginner in knitting and currently knitting this ‘stockinette-stitch sweater’ for kids and i’m having problems understanding the following pattern for sleeve.

Beginning with a knit row, work 2 rows in stockinette stitch
(i understood this as knit one row, knit 2nd row and purl one row)

Increase row (the book bold this increase row) Knit into front and back of first stitch, knit to last stitch, knit into front and back of last stitch. Work 2 rows in stockinette stitich.
(understood this as, knit one row but add a stitch first, knit one row and purl one row)

Increase row (book bold this). Purl into front and back of first stitch, purl to last stitch, purl into front and back of last stitch. Work 2 rows in stockinette stitch.
(understood as, purl one row but add one stitch first, knit one row and purl one row)

Repeat last 6 rows 7 times more. 65 stitches
(which 6 rows?? 65 stitches???)

Continue straight…(rest i undrstand but continue straight?? straight???)

Read this whole section couple times but still dont understand.

Please help!!!

Stockinette is alternating knit and purl rows if you’re knitting it flat (not in the round). So that would be knit a row, purl a row, etc.

Increase row (the book bold this increase row) Knit into front and back of first stitch, knit to last stitch, knit into front and back of last stitch. Work 2 rows in stockinette stitch.
(understood this as, knit one row but add a stitch first, knit one row and purl one row)

That increase is also called KFB. It’s all done in one stitch and creates two stitches. You knit into the stitch, but don’t remove it, then put your needle into the back of the stitch and wrap it and then take off the two stitches. I read this as you increase on the knit row, purl a row, knit a row.

Increase row (book bold this). Purl into front and back of first stitch, purl to last stitch, purl into front and back of last stitch. Work 2 rows in stockinette stitch.
(understood as, purl one row but add one stitch first, knit one row and purl one row)
Now you do a purl side increase aka PFB. You do the purl front and back increase on each end. Purl into the stitch, but don’t remove it, then bring needle to front and knit the stitch and remove the two stitches. Then knit a row, then purl a row.

Repeat last 6 rows 7 times more. 65 stitches
(which 6 rows?? 65 stitches???)
Your increase row counts as one row and the two rows after in stockinette are two rows. That’s 3 rows. So here’s your 6 rows-

1. KFB increase row
  2. Purl row
  3. Knit row
  4. PFB increase row
  5. Knit row
  6. Purl row

Continue straight…(rest i undrstand but continue straight?? straight???)

This probably means to just do stockinette now with no increases. Just knitting one row, purling the next. This is also called “knitting even”.

It’s a whole new language isn’t it. :wink: BTW…if you include a pattern link or at least a pattern name when asking questions it helps us answer better. Some things are pattern specific.

GOt it! so much easier after reading your explanation. I got this from a book but I stated stockinette stitch. Next time if i get it from a website, i’ll sure to put the link up.

THanks again!!

On both Increase Rows you need to add a stitch in the first AND last stitch! So, you will be adding 2 stitches on both of those rows.

hth, knitcindy