How to read Sasha Rowan pattern?

patterns

Hello, and thank you in advance for your assistance!

Pattern (https://knitrowan.com/en/free-patterns/sasha):

My issue is not understanding the instructions between the Square Brackets [ ]. I do understand the co stitches, i.e., for size x cast on x number of stitches.

BACK (instructions Rowan Sasha)
Using 9mm (US 13) needles and yarn A cast on 52 [54: 56: 60: 62] sts.
Row 1 (RS): P0 [0:1:0:0],K1 [2:2:1:2],*P2,K2,rep from * to last 3 [0:1:3:0] sts,P2 [0:1:2:0],K1 [0:0:1:0].
Row 2: K0 [0:1:0:0],P1 [2:2:1:2],*K2,
P2,rep from * to last 3 [0:1:3:0] sts,K2 [0:1:2:0],P1 [0:0: 1: 0].

This is how I would decipher Row 1: P0 (s) [P0 (m): P1 (l): P0 (xl): P0 (xxl)], K1 [K2 (m):K2 (l):K1(xl):K2 (xxl)],*P2,K2,rep from * to last 3 [0 (m): 1(l): 3(xl): 0(xxl)] sts, P2 [0(m): 1(l): 2(xl): 0(xxl)],K1 [0(m):0(l):1(xl):0(xxl)].

It doesn’t make sense that the larger sizes would have less stitches, nor that you could end a row with 0 stitches yet be required to make 2 more purls, but if those who view this pattern and deem my deciphering of the instructions of Row 1 is correct, it would follow that the following rows can be deciphered in the same manner, and thus the entirety of the pattern.

Looking forward to your comments!

Thank you! Kim

The pattern makes sense in that the number of sts increases as the sizes get larger. If you look at the directions for the largest size only and work out the stitch count, it’s consistent with the cast on of 62sts for example.

As far as finishing the row, if you again look at a single size, e.g. the largest size, the pattern has you work to the last 0sts and then P0, K0. For the second size, the same thing happens.

Which size are you making? It may help to circle that size for all the stitch numbers to avoid confusion.

Thank you kindly salmonmac. I’ll get to it as soon as the future wearer get’s home, i.e., determine size, and deconstruct the instructions so that only that which applies to the size required remain. Hopefully taking another look at the numbers a pattern will arise in my minds eye.

Kimm