How to pick up stitches?

I’m working on Lionbrand’s Short and Chic Cardi.
http://www.lionbrand.com/lby_freedownload/download/link/product_id/108361/

The skill level is experienced, which from what I’ve read in the comments/ project notes is because the pattern is written poorly. I just finished the lower band. I’m about to start the body but I don’t understand the wording of the instructions.

"CARDIGAN
Lower Band
With smaller circular needle, cast on 98 (102, 106, 110) sts.
Rows 1 and 3 (RS): K2, *p2, k2; rep from * across. Row 2: P2, *k2, p2; rep from * across.
Row 4: Rep Row 2 to last 7 sts, bind off next 3 sts (buttonhole), work to end of row as established. Row 5: Continue in rib as established, casting on 3 sts over bound off sts of previous row.
Rows 6-17 (6-19, 6-19, 6-19): Rep Rows 1 and 2. Rows 18-19 (20-21, 20-21, 20-21): Rep Rows 4 and 5.
For all sizes, work 2 more rows in rib as established. Bind off, but do not cut yarn.
Body
From WS, using attached yarn and larger circular needle, pick up and k sts as follows:

Pick up and k 1 st in next p ridge, *pick up and k 1 st between next k sts of rib, pick up and k 1 sts in each of p sts of rib; rep from * across – 74 (77, 80, 83) sts."

I searched the website and though the post I found is the same question, I still don’t understand.

Looks like after the ribbing is bound off, You turn to the back and pick up one stitch by poking your needle between the two actual stitches, then the repeat starts: Pick up one stitch going inbetween the next two boundoff stitches themselves (so stitch 3 and 4 of the ribbing), then pick up two stitches going under the bound off edge (stitch 5 and 6 of the bind off)? Would love to see how others interpret that, seems confusing

Yes, after picking up the first st, you’ll be picking up 3 sts for every 4sts. If you don’t end with the exact number of sts that you should have you can always inc a few on the next row.

Okay, I tried and after picking up the stitches on the WS I end up on the RS but as I continue the pattern, I’m not on the correct side…or maybe I picked up wrong?
To get back to the correct side, i knit even over the picked up stitches but idk, i feel like I didn’t do it right.

It looks like you picked up correctly according to the pattern directions. Many of the Rav projects show the same ridge on the RS although some changed the pick up so the ridge is hidden on the WS.
Here’s some helpful notes about the size of the buttonholes on the st st portion and on the left side shaping.

You’re using a yummy color!

1 Like

Thank you :blush:

How does one reverse shaping? :sweat_smile:

You can often work the shaping on the wrong side rows to reverse the shaping. The link I gave above should have the reverse shaping directions written out.

“Back
From RS, rejoin yarn to sts for back.
Next Row: Bind off 2 sts, k to marker, remove marker and turn work. Next Row: Bind off 2 sts, p to end.
Continue on these 36 (37, 38, 39) sts for back only. Dec Row: K2, k2tog, k to last 4 sts, skp, k2. Continue as established, AT THE SAME TIME, rep dec row every other row 11 (10, 9, 8) times more, every 4th row 0 (1, 2, 3) times – 12 (13, 14, 15) sts. Work 1 row even. Bind off. Left Front
Rejoin yarn and work same as right front, reversing shaping.”

I start the back with 36 stitches (I’m doing the smallest size) then decrease 2 stitches every other row, 11 times and should end up with 12 sts?
If I count it out, I’m left with 14 sts but maybe I’m counting wrong? Should i just decrease again to get to 12?

If you work the Dec row and then dec 11 times more, that’s 12 total dec rows (24sts decreased). Starting with 36sts, you’ll have 12 sts remaining.

1 Like

So I’m on the sleeves now… The cuff is ribbed, it says CO 38 and K2, *P2, K2; rep from * across…

The ends are the same…

It starts and ends in a knit stitch… when I seam the sleeve, it won’t be right will it?

That’s the way I like to work the ribbing when knitting flat. If you use one knit stitch on each end for the seam then you’ll have 2 knit sts next to each other. The ribbing will continue around as k2p2, even over the seam.

It begins and ends in K2, so it’ll be 4 knit stitches together when seamed

Work a seam like mattress stitch or even a back stitch seam not a seam that abuts the edges. In mattress stitch for example, you work into the bars between the first and second stitch and also into the bars between the next to last and last stitch. That will put 2 sts into the seam and hidden. Only 2 knit sts will remain visible on the outside, completing a round of k2p2.

What kind of seam were you thinking of using?

I didn’t know there were different ways to seam :sweat_smile:

I’ll probably try out those that you mentioned, though. Thank you!