How to measure armhole

Hi,
when the pattern calls to measure the armhole say, 5 and 1/2 inches and then bind off, do I measure from the beginning of the armhole and follow the curve with the tape measure
Or, do I measure from the beginning of the armhole straight up to the top (to the needle) and then bind off…I wish I could draw what I mean on here!
Thank you!
Jen:knitting:

No worries, you’re perfectly clear and you’re not the first person to ask this question. You measure straight up from the row where the first bound off sts are.

Thank you Sue! I so appreciate it! I haven’t done armholes in so long I couldn’t remember. I want this little vest done for my grandson for Easter, so now I can get back to working on it!

Thank you!!!:cheering:
Jen

hi , my pattern says continue straight until armhole measures 8 1/4 inches, if I measure straight up from beginning if cast offs, it seems really big, for a 36" bust sweater, please help

Your bust size doesn’t have anything to do with the armhole length in general, but you might need a little shorter one. Measure a garment and see how long it is.