How to line a knitted jacket

I have completed the pieces for a short jacket and would like to line it. I’m not sure how to do this. My plan was to cut the lining pieces a little bit larger than the knitted pieces in order to allow for the seams. After that, I’m not sure how to proceed. Does anyone have some advice? thanks.
P.S. It is a cardigan sweater, bulky knit wool, raglan sleeves.

Mind you, I have never done this; however, I have sewn for years and think it could be done without too much trouble. I would indeed cut the lining pieces larger, say 5/8, as indicated in most U.S. sewing patterns, on all seam edges, side, shoulder, neckline, hem and armhole and the front. You would need to line the jacket/cardigan to the edge, of course. Oh, first of all, I would assemble the knitted pieces before lining so it is finished on the inside after lined. Prior to cutting out (and being certain the lining is sufficiently large enough) possibly trying it out first in a piece of muslin or similar weight fabric of the lining you wish to use. Assemble the lining, shoulder, side seams. You could either sew in the sleeves at this point (if your knitted garment also has sewn-in sleeves. Or, what I do when sewing, I blind-stitch my sleeves in after the shell lining is attached to the garment. If you sew in the sleeve lining to the shell (body part) be certain to add ease and trim the seams so they don’t bind. I also re-inforce the lining of the sleeve underneath, approximately an inch or so with machine sewing and trim this to about 1/4".

After that I would blind stitch the hem, neckline, fronts and sleeve hems to your garment with matching thread, only catching a wee bit of the knitted garment. Edgestitch, approximately 1/2" (if using a 5/8" seam allowance) to the neckline edge, cliping with scissors so it will have room to spread out almost to the stitching line, trimming a little off the neckline edge and blindstitch to the neckline of the knitted garment.

With regular fabric it is usually advisable to add ease (meaning that ‘pleat’ in the center back) but I would not think this necessary if the garment (knitted is loose-fitting). This is to allow the lining not to pull

I don’t know IF this makes any sense to you but I can see it in my mind as I’ve lined many a jacket in my life with no trouble.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Oh, I did notice you said ‘raglan’ sleeve. In that case after the garment (knitted) is put together and you have already cut out the lining fabric, all of the above, with the exception of the hassle of inserting separate sewn-in sleeves. Sorry, I missed the type of sleeve. Makes it a lot easier, I think.

Thank you so much. That all makes sense and is very helpful. The only part I’m not clear on is the edgestitching - do I do this everywhere? Do I do it before I put the lining pieces together?

I haven’t knitted the front and neck facings. I guess it would make sense to do that before I attach the lining.

You mentioned blindstitching the lining to the jacket (hem, neckline, fronts and sleeves) - what do I do at the shoulders?

Thank you so much for your help!

Milan, the old saying, ‘haste makes waste’ applies here with me this evening. Busy day and I am sort of tired.

When I wrote, ‘edgestitch’ (know what I meant but possibly no one else), I meant ‘staystitch’. This re-inforces the seam edge of the lining fabric so it does not distort out of shape. One does this appoximately, as I wrote, 1/2" in from the ‘edge’ of the cut-out lining(thus my boo-boo). When you turn under the fabric the edge is stablized and I generally baste mine 5/8" in from the cut-out edge and then pin to the garment.

Ooooooh, I hope I haven’t sent you somewhere to outer space with my hashed-up version. Believe me, it will work. Oh, should you, with the knitted garment, have to sew the back raglan sleeve to the front I would do the same with the lining. No need to staystitch there.

Sorry to have been such a dragged on pain. :teehee:

The ‘stay stitching’ would be on any outside edge, front, neckline, hems. Just a stabilizer, and after you put the lining pieces together.

You asked what to do at the shoulders. In the case of a raglan sleeve, just sew the lining together along the shoulder down into the sleeve in one continuous seam. This will fit inside the whole garment. You mentioned ‘facings’ you have yet to knit. In this case , I definitely would use a muslin (or something similar) and deduct the lining edges from that, always adding, of course, seam allowances. This is what is done in general sewing, as most garments do have facings at the front and also the neckline. I hope I make sense.

I think I understand everything. I just have to jump in and do it! I will try to take some pictures and “document” my progress! I will keep you posted. This gives me some incentive to take the plunge. Again, sincerest thanks.

Oh, don’t forget to press all the seam open in the lining. Another one I forgot as it is so elementary to this old one sewing makes the lining or any other sewn garment lay flat. Yes, please, keep me posted. If you lived next door, heck, I’d do it for you. :wink:

My first question would be, do you sew? Have you ever sewn a jacket with a lining? If yes, then you can probably pull this off, but I would proceed very carefully. There is so much that can go wrong, beginning with cutting the fabric-- if you don’t line it up correctly on the grain of the cloth, it will never hang right, no matter what else you do. Threads Magazine is published by a company which has put out many books on sewing, including some on jackets and linings. You might want to look at those first. I have sewn lined jackets, and even when working with a very stable, woven cloth, it’s one of the more tricky projects in sewing. So I just kind of cringe at trying to do this with a hand knitted garment.

The other question I have is, what made you decide to line it? Does it need stabalizing, too droopy? Or for warmth? Unless something is knit in a very fine yarn with a very fine gauge, I would avoid it.

Just my 2 cents :wink:

Taunton-- that’s the name of the publishing company. Sorry about that!

That is the kindest offer! I wish you lived closer, too!

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding. Yes, I sew. I am copying a jacket that someone else made (someone in a class I took) and her jacket was lined. I also cringe at the project, but at this point, I think I’m just going to try it and see what happens! thanks for your 2 cents!