How to knit short rows

I am knitting an afghan where you knit the border separately. When I come to a corner, I am supposed to knit 20 short rows, so every row is a short. Between the 1st and 2nd rows there is a hole where you turned and knitted back. the instructions are: Short row 1: K to last 5 sts., sl 1 purlwise, turn, k to end. Short row 2: K2, yo, k2tog, k to last 5 sts., sl 1 purlwise, turn, k to end.

When I do the rest of the short rows there are no holes.

What am I doing wrong? I’m hoping someone can help me.

Thanks
Charmin

I’m not sure what you mean by holes. Where are they?

The hole or space is where you turn the work and go back and the last few stitches that were left when you turned.

When you knit back on long rows again, the holes may be smaller. The slip stitch should fill in the gap.

Without actually working the pattern for myself, as best I can tell you are knitting two stitches together - the ones on either side of the short row turning hole. That will close it up. I mean, I have worked patterns with short rows and one of two things happens in the pattern - either you knit the two stitches together on either side of the hole and it closes it up or you don’t and it leaves a hole.