How to knit a circle with straight needles?

Every search comes up with results for knitting a flat circle with dpns or circular needles, but I don’t know how to use either. Is there an easy way to knit flat circles with straight needles? I’d like to make eyes to add to a project, but I’m a little stuck on this part. Thanks!

Nope you can’t. You can knit a tube with straight needles but not a flat circular item. For the eyes, you could knit a bobble and BO.

Or you can crochet them. Knitting in the round is much easier than you’d think. It’s easiest to start with a hat or maybe a can cozy.

Here’s a video that shows how to make crochet buttons. This can also be done by knitting a row or two and binding off. This button can be used for the eyes. If you want flat ones, another thing you could do would be to cut them from felt and stitch or glue one. You can also embroider them on using a satin stitch. That’s one my mother taught me how to do when I was little.

Actually, [U][I][B]yes[/B][/I][/U], you can knit flat circles, and here are instructions for how to do it: http://aly-oops.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-to-knit-flat-circle.html.

This uses dpn’s, but you can move your stitches around on regular needles (tedious, I know, but I’d be willing to bet you’re not making that big of a circle). You could even slide the stitches from the third needle on to a stitch holder while you knitted with two needles. Then rearrange your stitches again, always using the stitch holder to hold extra stitches while you work with only two needles. Where there’s a will, there’s a way!