How to get rid of extra stitch

As a new knitter, I am being extra careful by counting stitches. In the row I just knitted, I count an extra stitch. How do I get rid of an extra knit stitch? I don’t want to knit 2 together. Is there a way to eliminate a stitch on the end of the needle? I can see the extra stitch sticking out at the end.

The best thing to do is figure out what happened to increase your stitch count. If you can post a clear photo of the stitches maybe someone can see the problem and help you fix it. You can k2tog (knit 2 together) to decrease by one.

1 Like

I think the picture was added after I posted. I can’t see it well enough to tell what happened either.

Hello
As grumpygramma said the only way to resolve an extra stitch (if you want it perfect and not to k2tog) is to work out 3xactlynwhere the additional stitch appeared from and go back and fix it.

If you feel it is at the end of the row you can tink back a couple of stitches and re-finish that row, then recount and see if the problem has resolved.
Tink is knit backwards, it is undoing one stitch at a time, a careful way of undoing knitting.

If the extra stitch is earlier kn in the work you can keep tinking back to it.
Or you can hunt it down and possibly ladder down to the place and redo the column (a crotchet hook helps with this). There are also videos on how to ladder down but I’m not sure you need that just yet. Look really carefully at every stutch to see if you can find the problem.

It is difficult to see dark yarn knit fabric on photos.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion of tinking. I will look into it. The extra stitch is in the row I just knitted.

You won’t have far to tink then.
Even experienced knitters have times they need to tink and the more you do it the more comfortable it feels so in the end it doesn’t even feel like undoing, just fixing a little mistake.

Let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Hello
It depends what you’re making and how ‘perfect’ you want the outcome. You can reduce the stitch count back to 12 by knitting or purling 2 together (there are videos for this if you want one) if you don’t mind there being some small errors in your project.
Or, you can investigate where the extra stitch arrived, what it is (for instance an accidental yarn over, or accidentally working a stitch then slipping the old stitch into the right needle rather than dropping off the left) and then go about fixing it. This depends on how well you can read your fabric (not always easy for new knitters) and if you want to go to the trouble of laddering down to it and working the column back up.

With knitting there are always new tips and tricks to learn and you can go at a pace and level which suits you the best.
Let us know if you need more help with this.

Welcome to the forum!
Possibly it’s an incomplete stitch with the yarn strand hung up on the needle? Here’s a fix if you’ve noticed it on the last row worked:

If it’s farther down in the knitting, you would need to ladder down to the mistake and fix it in a similar manner. A crochet hook makes this easier but it can be done with knitting needles too.

1 Like