How to convert a pattern from circular knitting to straight needle

Hello, How do I convert a pattern from circular knitting to straight needle looking at the instructions I am a bit confused, I have highlighted the sections that are confusing, how would I leave stitches on the needle?

I got the free pattern from; http://www.berroco.com/patterns/radha

Lower Section
Note: The lower section is shaped using short rows. When working these rows, you will work across a given number of sts then turn and work back leaving some sts unworked. This makes one edge longer than the other.

With circular needle, cast on 146 sts. Do not join.

Establish Ribbing: **

Row 1 (RS): K2, * p2, k2; rep from * across.

Row 2: P2, * k2, p2; rep from * across.

Rep 2 rows 17 times more, end on WS (36 rows total).

Short Rows:

Next Row (RS): Work in ribbing over 142 sts. Turn, leaving 4 sts unworked on LH needle.

Next Row (WS): Work in ribbing as established.

Next Row (RS): Work in ribbing over 138 sts. Turn, leaving 8 sts unworked on LH needle.

Next Row (WS): Work in ribbing as established.

Continue to work in this manner, working 4 sts less on each RS row until 14 sts remain on RH needle, end on WS.

** Rep from ** to ** 7 times more, then work in ribbing on all 146 sts for 6 rows more. Bind off ribbing.

This pattern has a large number of sts for the lower section and so it recommends using a circular needle. The sts aren’t joined for knitting in the round however. The pieces are knit back and forth on the circulars.

The bolded directions are the directions for short rows. Knit to the given number of sts before the end of the round and turn leaving the sts on the left hand needle unworked. Exchange the needles in your hands and work back in the other side other side of the piece.