How to collaborate with someone knitting in the opposite direction (left handed vs right handed)

Recently there appeared a thread (how to fix inside out knitting in the round???) talking about turning the work inside out when knitting in the rounds. This gave me an idea to write a thread about how to collaborate with someone knitting in the opposite direction (left handed vs right handed). This is probably a trivial thing for most, but maybe someone would like this information.

My wife is knitting left handed while I knit right handed. She often wants me to knit the cuffs as I am faster. This is how I do it:

• First I cast on as if I would be left handed (to get the nicer side of the cast facing to the inside)
  • Then I knit the whole cuff in the normal way (right handed)
  • Then I turn the work inside out (the nicer side of the cast on will face out)
  • Now after the work is turned inside out, one need to knit left handed. The stitches will have the wrong orientation on the needles, so for one round one need to take this into account (approaching the stitches from another direction) to avoid twisted stitches.

Now whenever one want to change between right handed and left handed knitting, just turn the work inside out and take the orientation of the stitches into account for one round. Of course one need to also swap knit and purl stitches when going from one side to another.

1 Like