How much wool?

I have completed a cardigan using a pattern for the wool. Bought numbers of balls stated and have ended up with 3 balls left. (My gauge ended up different but it has still come up well.
I could use the wool in another project, but I don’t want a second one of the same colour/ wool. Am thinking I could use it for cuffs/ ribbing/ border and the main project in a contrasting colour of same wool.
Is there a way to work out how much wool is needed for the ribbing and the main part- I need to work out how many additional balls to get in the new colour.not sure how to go about it.

What is the name of your pattern?

If the new wool works up the same gauge then you know that the most you will need is three less than what you bought for your finished sweater (all in the new color).
You can also see that the least you will need is six less than the number you bought of the first color (using all three of the extra balls).

For the most accurate estimate you would add all your row stitch counts together and divide by the number of balls you used. This would give you the number of stitches per ball average. You can then use the total stitches in the ribbing and the cuffs (maybe the button band and collar) to estimate how many balls you need for them and how many you will need for the body of the cardigan.

Good luck with your estimates and be adventurous. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Have you considered a hat, scarf, or shawl to go with your finished project?

1 Like

Is it 50 gram balls? I knit these a lot. A simple rib beanie for an adult will take about 1 1/2 balls. The other 1 1/2 should be enough for matching mittens or fingerless mitts, your choice. You can wear them matching the sweater or wear the two separately. It would also make a good Christmas or birthday present for someone.

This is the beanie but done in Lion brand Cottonease. The pattern is from One Skein Wonders. I made these cotton ones for my son in law who is doing chemo. The cotton yarn makes them great for sleeping. Cancer patients get cold, itchy heads.

2 Likes