How fast can you knit?

How fast do you knit??? I see patterns, blogs and posts where people say they have knitted an entire sweater in a week!! Is this a constant sit down and knit for 8 hours a day ? I started a scarf about 2 weeks ago. Granted, I am very much a beginner and I know it takes time to develop the skill to complete things quickly… But dang, I am starting to think maybe I am not doing it correctly!

Can you please tell me how fast you can knit?

Thanks!!!
Tammy

If you use large needles and thick yarn, you can probably do a sweater in about 20 hours or so, maybe less. Don’t worry about how fast other people knit, it is a skill that comes with practice and experience. It takes me forever to knit a sweater because I get bogged down about 3/4 of the way there and want to go do other things. So I put it down and make about 20 things before I get back to the sweater. If I do, and don’t rip it out to make something else…

I’m pretty slow too when I knit too so you’re not alone. Don’t worry how fast you knit, I think it’s more rewarding when it takes a long time to finish a project anyway so that you can sit back when it’s complete and think about all the problems and or fun experiences that you had making it. That’s how I see it.

A row of 92 stitches takes me about 7 minutes.

I can knit faster than I like to. Too fast and it’s not relaxing. I’ve never timed it trying to go fast.

A lot also depends on the stitch pattern. A simple stockinette goes much faster than a lace design with multiple rows . I have knit a sweater in about 40 hours but it was bulky weight yarn and knit in the round in stockinette. I have also had a sweater take several years when I had minimal time to knit and it was done in sport weight with a complicated stitch pattern.

It is often hard for me to find time to knit, so I grab an hour or so whenever the opportunity arises (which isn’t as often as I’d like), so it takes me a long time to finish a project.

I really enjoy the whole knitting experience and try not to impose deadlines on myself so that I can enjoy the knitting more. Also, I have hurt my wrists before from knitting too much and that will definitely slow your projects down!

I agree with Mike, if I try to knit faster, I don’t find it as relaxing.

How long did it take you to write a thank you note when you were eight years old?

How long does it take you now?

When you were eight you were focusing on doing the cursive correctly and spelling the words. Now you are thinking about what you are going to do for supper as you zip through the “you were so thoughtful” and “I don’t know what I did before I had ____________”.

Just like any other skill, you have to think about all the basic steps at the beginning, but you gain fluency as you work at it. Be excited that you are challenging yourself to learn a new- and VERY SATISFYING- skill. And just like any other skill, there will be a time when things are slow and awkward, but as you stick to it you will zip along and not even think about what you are doing when you are doing the “easy stitches.”

Along with skill, as noted, there’s also motivation. I’ve made sweaters in a couple weeks by working on them a few hours/day but I probably had some kind of deadline and was ‘inspired.’ If I’m bored or a project isn’t going as planned I’ll get bogged down and lose interest. But if a project affords a challenge or piques my interest I’ll tackle it with lots of energy and zip thru it in short order.

cam

I’m a lot faster with size 10 1/2 needles than with 1’, or 2’s, etc. Stitch for stitch the bigger needles are much easier on my hands, as I’m sure they are for most others. I say “most” because one of my friends is very tiny (especially in comparison to my 6’1.5") and finds larger needles harder to deal with.

Along with Mike, I don’t like to be too speedy, easier to make mistakes and not see them that way.

Sometimes I knit quick, sometimes I knit slowly, and sometimes the knitting is dull and I dont knit at all.

I always wish I was a faster knitter, esp when I see what others can do. But then I remember they have probably been knitting for a long time.
Knitting is relaxation time for me, and I don’t want it to become a chore. So, I do as I do and hope the end result is relaxation and a nice finished project.

I knit continental and have learned long ago to knit without looking - at least, for less complicated patterns.

Put me in front of a nice, scary movie… hey, I knit like the wind! One sock in no time - well, let’s say in about 4-6 good spook movies.

Fun stuff.

Dot

Oooooh! That would make a good sig line!

I never thought of that. I need to play a computer game and then knit. I know after playing a game I’m much faster and better and clicking the mouse.

Thanks everyone for your replies… I know someday I’ll be faster, it does take time to develop the skill, but I was wondering if I was doing something wrong which causes me to be so slow!! I was just trying to get an idea of what was “normal”.

Also, I think it’s a case of being a tad impatient wanting to get to the next project and the next yarn. I have always wanted to make a sweater, but didn’t know how to knit. Now thanks to the free videos here I have actually learned to knit. Which is amazing in itself!! I started a headband, haven’t finished it yet. Now I am working on a scarf which is a cobbled up bunch of different stitches- sort of like a sampler! But being from Florida I don’t need a real scarf anyway…:wink:

I think another reason I am slow is that I seem to like boucle yarns so it is more difficult!

Thanks
Tammy

I just knit as fast (or slow) as I do. I do get antsy to finish projects, but my speed or lack of is whatever it is. I love to knit and really do not concern myself with fast or slow.

I just knit :slight_smile:

I can knit fairly fast, but purling is slower. If I’m doing an easy pattern, i.e. stockinette or garter, I’m fast, but if there’s counting involved (like cables), then I’m slower and make more mistakes. I’ve learned to unknit for this very reason.:wink:

I love watching movies while knitting, especially movies that don’t involve my eyes bring glued to the screen.