How do you make a pompom

I would like to make a pompom for a baby’s hat, but not quite sure how to do it, can anyone help???

I was in the same boat last week, just ask joel, but I did come to make something that will work… however lion and su ch sell them for like 2 bucks.

What I did, and I know there are other ways to do it… I cut a couple of dougnut shapes out of cardboard (with a hole in the center) and brought the yarn up through and around… then cut it through the middle… :slight_smile:

I actually used this site:
http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/tips/pompom.htm
and this one too
http://www.fiber-images.com/Free_Things/How_Tos/how-to_make_pompom.htm

But there are many different ways to do it :slight_smile:

Note: Because I don’t know how to cut a circle, I eventually bought one that does 3 sizes at michaels for like 1.50 :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info, I’ll try it out.

No problems… I got frustrated making my templates… cause… I could only find really think corrigated cardboard… and that didnt’ work out to well… :doh:

But I was in a hurry to get it done

mine fell apart in the wash - no more pompoms for me!

Pom Poms come standard on every family Christmas stocking and it has been my husband’s job since a child to make the braided string and pom poms that trim the stockings. He takes a piece of cardboard that is twice as long as you want the finished pom pom and oh, three or four inches wide should work fine. He wraps the yarn around the card until he thinks the pom pom will be full enough … I’m gonna guess 15 to 20 wraps. Then he slides the wrapped yarn off the side of the card all as one loop. He takes another yarn string, wraps it around the middle – half-way – and ties it tightly. You now have something that looks sorta like a bow tie: 20 loops with a string tied perpendicular to the loops. Cut through all the yarn loops on both ends and fluff from that tied center point.

My husband says I didn’t explain it right! He wraps the cardboard about 50 times – more than you think you need in order to make it sufficiently fluffy. He doesn’t tie in the middle and cut on each end; rather, he ties on one end of the cardboard and cuts only the opposite end. If you ask, I might be able to get him to post pictures. He is laughing at us. He says the important part is that you need more wraps than you think to make it fluffy enough and then after it is tied you trim the ends and shape it to make it perfectly round.

He’s only been doing this for about 30 years. And I never do it … I let him! :slight_smile: