How do I knit something without a pattern?

Is there a technique I can learn? Books to read about? Classes to take? Can I use a sewing pattern?

It depends on what you want to knit. A scarf or cloth or something would be very easy, other things not so much!

I know, that’s why I want to know if there some techniques I can learn. People do design patterns, so there must be a way to do it. My question is, where do I access to these tools?

A couple books you can see if your library has/can get…

Sweater Design in Plain English

Designing Knitwear

There is a book called “The Knitter’s Handy Book of Patterns” by Ann Budd. It gives the basic patterns for several types of garments. Then you probably want to get a stitch dictionary of some sort so that you can customize the patterns. Personally, I think it is helpful to follow a few patterns before you try to design from scratch. That’s how most people learn the techniques involved.

I think experience plays a big part in this, too. Once you know the basics of how to knit something then you can move on and add or create your own ideas from the basic one.

Do check out the books suggested though. I haven’t seen them so they may be very helpful. :heart:

[color=indigo]I have to second this. Once you learn how a basic item is made, then you can start adding embellishments, stitch pattern changes, etc.[/color]

and the most important tools for making your own patterns (cause i rarely work from them)… measuring tape and paper :wink:

I got myself a stitch book
any would do as long as it makes sense to you
but I used Marans Illustrated Knitting and Crochetting
and i made a Doll
no pattern
i am very roud of her, but i did it so I could learn how to make the yarn make shapes
now I M learning even more
cables are fun, but I wanna get creative with them
and maybe someday enteralac