How do I change WS to RS (Cowl Neck)

I am so close to finishing my first garment :cheering: but I am having problems understanding the logistics of how to knit the cowl neck on this sweater. The instruction say:

“Work in St st for 10 rnds (knit all sts), then purl 1 rnd. turn collar inside out to reverse the RS and WS and work lace pattern…”

The purpose of these instructions is to make the RS of the lace pattern the public side once the collar is turned down.

Now, as I understand it, your working yarn should always be coming from your right hand needle. So, when I knit the 10 rnds of st st the RS of the sweater is on the outside facing me. When I turn the sweater inside out, if I start knitting with the working yarn on the right hand needle, the RS is “inside” the neck instead of “outside”, but I am still working the RS. (I hope this makes sense, it is so hard to explain!).

I am sure this is simple and I am missing something obvious, but I just can’t figure out how change the WS to the RS :hair: Can anybody help this frustrated newbie? TIA!

By working the right side on the inside of the collar, you’re reversing what you’re supposed to reverse.

If you fold it down, the inside will be showing after you knit it.

So you think I’ve got this right then? I’ve got 19 of the 28 rows of lace done and I honestly can’t tell the difference from the RS/WS with this pattern :shrug: I pick it up and look at it and decide, yup I’ve got it!..then the next time I pick it up I think - nope, it’s wrong :roflhard: I guess if I can’t tell with such close scrutiny, even if it is wrong no one else will ever notice!

I am just trying to learn all I can while knitting this so figured I’d ask to be sure I am understanding it correctly (for the next time when you will REALLY be able to tell!)

And thanks for the quick reply!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=deepskyblue]I don’t think that’s right. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=deepskyblue]I think what you’ve been doing is similar to people who accidentally knit a sock inside out…they’re working on the far side of the circle, but they’re still knitting on the ‘right side’ of the sock.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=deepskyblue]What you needed to do is reverse…which usually involves wrapping the first stitch on the left needle, turning your work inside out, and then start knitting around, and knit the wrap along with the wrapped stitch when you reach that last stitch of the round. There will be a little hole there, but you are supposed to be able to wiggle a crochet hook around and even everything out. Good luck, … I had to do this alot with this sock pattern[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
http://www.magknits.com/Apr06/patterns/slinky.htm
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=deepskyblue], and came up with my own little ‘fudge stitch’ to avoid the hole. Atleast you only needed to do it once ![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Dotty - thank you for replying…you were right, I was doing it wrong:?? I ended up stopping in my LYS for some help as I had frogged and re-knit it 4 times and just knew nothing I was doing was right (it was the wrap and turn I was missing). So thanks for the response as you were exactly right as to what my “problem” was. I am happy to report that the neck is now successfully completed!:happydance: