How Do I Change Colors When Slipping First Stitch? PLEASE Help!

Hi! I am knitting a garter stitch scarf, and I am slipping the first stitch of every row. I was just wondering… how do I change colors when I am slipping the first stitch? I know how to change colors but I am worried about the slipping part. Any help is greatly appreciated! :mrgreen: Please respond!

You can knit the last stitch on the previous row with the new color, but it may not show so much.

What do you mean it may not show so much?

Because changing colors in garter shows the other color just slipping the stitch might not be as obvious as in stockinette stitch. Something like this is where you do a little sample on the side to see what different ways of working it will look like.

‘slipping the beginning of every stitch’ baffles me …

If you read it as: Slipping the beginning stitch of every [I]row[/I], I think it may be clearer.

You can knit the last stitch on the previous row with the new color

So you mean that if I change to a new color at the last stitch of my row, then start a new row with that new color, then slip that first stitch and continue to knit regularly as usual, I will have successfully changed colors and the stripes of color will come out [I]evenly?[/I]:think:

So you mean that if I change to a new color at the last stitch of my row, then start a new row with that new color, then slip that first stitch and continue to knit regularly as usual, I will have successfully changed colors and the stripes of color will come out [I]evenly?[/I]

Yes it should; try it with a sample piece to see how it works.

It worked but there was SOME unevenness so I used the yarn tails to hide it… do you know of any other way to make it work? Thank you for your tip!
(You can see that on the right side of the yellow at the top there is still a yellow stitch on the red part that I wasn’t able to hide.)

That’s part of the nature of stripes done in garter stitch. Because the purl bumps show on both sides, there’s going be the previous row’s color show through after you change.

I don’t do a lot of color work, but maybe someone else who does can help you out. This blog post talks about the color dots showing through on ribbing, but it may be of some help to you for garter stitch.

That’s part of the nature of stripes done in garter stitch. Because the purl bumps show on both sides, there’s going be the previous row’s color show through after you change.

Were you talking about the back side? Below is the back side. What I meant is that once I changed colors the first and last stitches of the previous color sort of clashed into the other color on the FRONT side. I understand that on the back it will show the color change. Anyhow THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! :yay:

As far as I know there isn’t anything you can do about that. All garter stitch stripes look like that so you’re not doing anything wrong.

You could just make it a design feature by doing [B]one[/B] row at the color change in k1p1 then continue garter till the next color change, etc. You’ll get a dotted look across both sides. Give it a try on your swatch.

I ended up just changing colors without slipping that first stitch. I slipped the first stitch of the row before the color change, of course. For some reason it didn’t do much of a difference to my work and after I completed the row of the new color, I immediately went back to slipping the first stitch. :yay: :knitting: :woot:

I’m so glad you found a solution you like. That’s one of the great things about knitting, figuring out how to make things come out as we want them to. Makes you feel good, doesn’t it? :thumbsup: